Main Thought: Have you trusted, personally, God’s remedy for your individual sin? are you covered by the righteousness of Christ, your sinless substitute sacrifice?
Context leading up to Man’s Fall: - The Test
A. The Conditions of the test
A Positive Test: Dress and Keep the Garden; Exercise Dominion Over Creation; Live Together in a Marital, One-Flesh Relationship.
2. A Negative Test: Do Not Eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil (See Gen. 2:17).
B. The Purposes of the test
Man was created in a state of unconfirmed holiness
God wanted to move man to a state of confirmed holiness
The Serpent's Slippery Dialogue ().
Notice the Tempter
A. His Incomparable Subtlety ().
1. Subtle means “crafty, shrewd, and sensible”
2. This was how God made the serpent
This is not necessarily bad
B. His Inquisitive Suggestions ().
1. Satan Speaks Through the Serpent
The Serpent, a beautiful part of God’s creation, was used as an instrument of Satan
2. His Aim - To Get the Woman to DOUBT God’s Word
3. Satan Comes with an Apparently Innocent Inquiry
4. Satan Is Attacking the Character of God and the Goodness of His Guidelines
C. The Tragedy of Misinterpretation ().
The Woman Plays Right Into Satan’s Ploy
She does not have a solid foundation or grasp of God’s word at this point in time
2. What She Did to God’s Word:
She failed to add that man could eat the fruit “freely”
She failed to name the tree whose fruit was forbidden
She added to God’s prohibition (“touch it”)
She weakened God’s warning of punishment (“lest ye die” - might)
D. The Truth Manipulated ().
The Temptation was to PRIDE, to be like God Himself.
It was a lack of trust in God, as if He were keeping something good from them.
Now, See His (Satan’s) Flat-Out DENIAL of God’s Word
2. Satan’s Denial of Punishment Is Just as Emphatic as God’s Promise of Punishment
3. The First Doctrine To Be Denied Is Judgment
The Temptation was to PRIDE, to be
4. Satan, as always, makes an empty, hollow promise
This world's good times end in heartache.
This world's wells are dry, its clouds without rain, its cisterns broken cisterns that can hold no water.
All Satan's apples have worms.
"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death" ().
[John R. Rice, The Son of God, A Verse-by-Verse Commentary on the GOSPEL ACCORDING TO JOHN, John R. Rice Commentary Series, n.d., 95.]
Sin's Shining Deception ().
Notice the TRAGEDY of this Deception
A. Lust's Conception ().
The Woman Was Deceived
She sought no counsel from neither Adam nor God
She followed her impressions instead of her instructions
2. The Temptation Involved Three Areas:
The Lust of the Flesh - “good for food”
The Lust of the Eyes - “pleasant to the eyes”
Pride of Life - “make one wise”
3. Adam Ate Also, Knowing Fully and Completely What He Was Doing
As head of his family and head of the human race, Adam bore the full responsibility for the ORIGINAL sin of mankind
B. Eyes Wide Shut ().
Notice the RESULTS of the Fall - On the Entire Human Race - Sense of Guilt
On the Entire Human Race - Sense of Guilt
a. Sense of Guilt