Who is this Jesus
Who is this Jesus?
Pastor Keith Hassell
Foundation Scripture: Hebrews 1:1-14
Background: The Book of Hebrews was written to the Jewish people who evidently were expecting Christ’s return. His delay in coming along with the persecution they were facing began to cause some to wonder if they had made the right choice in becoming Christians. Many were in danger of returning to Judaism. Hebrews was written to declare the excellencies of Christ and the New Covenant over Judaism and the Old Covenant
I. Who is this Jesus?
A good man? A religious teacher? An imposter? A glorified angel?
2 Corinthians 11:4 Some come preaching another Jesus, bringing another spirit, and a different gospel
A. He is God’s Last Days Messenger (verse 1-2)
1. God spoke in times past by the prophets at various times and in various ways (dreams, visions, angels, burning bush, etc.)
2. God has spoken in these last days by His Son (who is The Word)
B. He is greater than the Old Testament prophets (verse 2)
1. He is not a servant as was the prophets
2. He is appointed heir of all things
3. He is the Creator of the universe
4. He is the brightness of His glory
5. He is the express image of His person
6. He upholds all things by the word of His power
7. He purged our sins
8. He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on High
C. He is greater than the angels of heaven (verse 4-7)
1. He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent NAME than the angels (verse 4)
2. No angel has ever had God say to them, “You are My Son. Today I have begotten You.” (verse 5)
3. No angel has ever had God say to them, “I will be to Him a Father, and He shall be to Me a Son.” (verse 5)
(2 Samuel 7:14 concerning God’s promise that David’s Son would build Him a house)
4. He receives worship from angels (verse 6)
5. Angels are spirits and ministers or servants (verse 7)
6. Angels are ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation (verse 14)
D. He is God (verse 8-9)
1. He is called God by God the Father
2. He has a throne that is forever and ever
3. He has a scepter of righteousness, which is the scepter of His kingdom
4. He has exemplified the character of the King by loving righteousness and hating lawlessness
5. He has been anointed by God to be God the Son
E. He is eternal (verses 10-12)
1. He is the Creator, not the creation
2. He will never change or grow old like creation
3. He is eternal (His years will never fail)
F. He is Lord (verse 13)
1. He has been given authority at the right hand of God
2. He will rule until all enemies are made His footstool
II. What will you do with this Jesus?
A. If He is God’s Last Day’s Messenger
B. If He is greater than the Old Testament prophets
C. If He is greater than the angels of heaven.
D. If He is God.
E. If He is eternal.
F If He is Lord