Who Has Believed Our Report
Who Has Believed Our Report?
Pastor Keith Hassell
Foundation Scripture: John 12:37-50
I. What keeps a man from believing in and following Jesus?
A. Unbelief – a inner posture that rejects the truth of God due to a process of hardening of the heart through reasoning of the mind, justifications, and the determination to hold to a lie.
1. Although Jesus had done many signs and wonders, many still refused to believe. The Pharisees actually sought to kill Jesus and Lazarus because of the miracle of resurrection.
2. Hebrews 3:7-19 The people could not enter the land of Israel because of unbelief.
a. They refused to take the land because of unbelief.
B. Rebellion – God blinds the eyes of the rebellious (verse 39-40)
1. Ezekiel 12:1-2 God blinded they eyes of the Jews because they were a rebellious house.
2. Rebellion is rejecting and walking in contradiction to God’s revealed authority. It is rejecting the authority of God’s commandments.
3. Rebellion is as witchcraft (I Samuel 15:23)
C. Praise of Men
1. Loving the approval of man more than the approval of God.
2. The praise of man will choke out faith.
3. Many believed but they would not confess Jesus because of the Pharisees, lest they should be put out of the synagogue.
II. When one believe in Jesus
A. When you believe in Jesus, you are believing in the One who sent Him, i.e. the Heavenly Father (verse 44)
B. When you allow yourself to see Jesus for who He really is, then you also see the One who sent Him, i.e. the Heavenly Father (verse 45)
C. Jesus is the light. Whoever believes in Him will have light and not walk in the darkness of unbelief (verse 46)
III. The consequence of choosing not to believe.
A. Jesus came to save and not judge. He loves you.
B. The words of Jesus which He has spoken will stand as your judge in that day.
1. Jesus spoke not of Himself, but what the Father told Him to speak.
IV. Invitation: Who has believed our report?