What about Tongues
What about Tongues?
Pastor Keith Hassell
Foundation Scripture: Mark 16:15-20
I. The first mention of speaking in tongues was by Jesus.
A. It was regarded as a “sign”
B. It would follow those who believe
II. Tongues were given for a “sign” (I Corinthians 14:22)
A. Not for those who believe, but to the unbeliever (also the unlearned)
B. Old Testament prophecy (Isaiah 28:11-12)
III. Why are some people offended with tongues?
A. Tongues is the least rational of all of the manifestations of the Spirit
B. People have seen the abuse of tongues in doctrine and in practice
C. People are offended by the person speaking in tongues
D. People are offended because of their doctrinal stance against tongues
E. People are ignorant of the biblical basis for tongues
IV. If people are offended by tongues, shouldn’t we just stay away from it altogether?
A. I Corinthians 14:39 “Do not forbid to speak with tongues”
B. Guiding principle: I Corinthians 14:40 “Let all things be done decently and in order.”
V. Why are some people afraid of tongues?
A. Some have been taught that speaking in tongues is of the devil
B. Some are afraid of what they do not understand
C. Some are uncomfortable with things that are new and strange
D. High sensitivity to “cults”
E. How can we be sure that what we receive from the Lord is genuinely from God? (Luke 11:9-13)
VI. The nature of offense
A. Two types of offense:
1. When we violate another person’s rights or trust
2. When we do not live up to another person’s preconceived ideas of who we are or how we are to behave. Our actions then become offenses, or “stumbling blocks”. The cross of Jesus was the means of salvation but was a stumbling block to those who were offended by the idea of a bloody, crucified Messiah.
B. The cross is a “sifter” between those who trusted in their own righteousness and those who trust in the righteousness of God imparted to them by faith.
C. Tongues is a “sifter” between those who rely on the rational and those who will be led by the Spirit. As a rule, those who reject tongues also reject the present day operation of any of the gifts or manifestations of the Spirit
D. Tongues is the key that unlocks the door to the development of spiritual gifts.
VII. What is the difference between the gift or manifestation of tongues and our spiritual prayer language?
A. It is a matter of initiation and purpose
1. Gift of Tongues (Not all will speak with this type of tongue: I Corinthians 12:30)
a. Initiated by God as the Spirit wills (I Corinthians 14:11)
b. Purpose is to edify the body ( I Corinthians 14:5, 12)
2. Prayer language
a. Initiated by the individual (I Corinthians 14:14-15)
b. Purpose is for personal devotion and edification ( I Corinthians 14:2-4)
VIII. What is the purpose of tongues for the believer?
A. An initial sign of the Baptism with the Holy Spirit
1. Acts 2:1-4 The Day of Pentecost
2. Acts 8:4-25 The Samaritans receive the Spirit
3. Acts 9:17-19 Paul receives the Spirit
4. Acts 10:44-48 The Gentiles receive the Spirit
5. Acts 19:1-7 Disciples of John receive the Spirit
B. A source of spiritual edification
1. I Corinthians 14:4 To edify ourselves
2. I Corinthians 14:2 Speaking to God
3. I Corinthians 14:14 Man’s spirit communicating with the Spirit of God
C. A reminder of the Holy Spirit’s indwelling Presence
1. John 14:16-17 Conscious of the Holy Spirit’s Presence as Jesus promised
D. A means to pray in line with God’s perfect will
1. Romans 8:26-27
2. Romans 12:2 Good, acceptable and perfect will of God
E. A means to stimulate our faith
1. Jude 20 Build up yourselves in your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit
F. A means to remain free from worldly contamination
1. I Corinthians 14:28 Speak to ourselves and to God
G. An ability to pray for the unknown
H. A source of Spiritual refreshing
1. Isaiah 28:11-12
2. I Corinthians 14:21
I. A way to give thanks well
1. I Corinthians 14:15-27
J. A way to bring the tongue under subjection
1. James 3:8
IX. Is it right to ask God for the ability to speak with tongues?
A. I Corinthians 12:31 “But earnestly desire the best gifts”
B. I Corinthians 14”1 “Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts”