Walking in Victory
Walking in Victory
Pastor Keith Hassell
Foundation Scripture: Galatians 2:20
I. The issue of sin and the sin nature
A. The blood deals with sins
B. The cross deals with the sinner
II. The problem with sin is the sinner
A. “Sin” is the product
B. “Sinner” is sin factory
C. We are not sinners because we sin, we sin because we are sinners
D. The Law cannot make us righteous but only reveals our fallen nature
E. Something is wrong with us (Romans 7:14-8:2)
F. The problem is our identification with Adam (1 Corinthians 15:22)
1. Our lives were in our grandparents and parents. If any one of them had died at age three, we would have died “in” them.
G. Two natures
1. In Adam: My flesh serves the law of sin
2. In Christ: My spiritual mind serves the Lord
III. Our Identification with Christ at the cross
A. 1 Corinthians 15:22 “in Christ” all shall be made alive
B. Who will deliver me from the body of this death?
1. THROUGH Christ Jesus our Lord
C. Romans 8:1There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit
D. How do we get “in Christ Jesus”? Through faith in Christ (Romans 6)
1. Romans 6:3-4 “as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death. Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”
2. Illustration: Paper (us) placed in a book (Christ)
E. “In Christ” we died through His Cross
1. At the cross we died to our identification with Adam and began a new identification with Christ
2. Colossians 3:3 “For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.”
3. Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life that I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who love me and gave Himself up for me.”
F. Through Christ we have been raised and set free from sin (Romans 6:5ff)
IV. Our death and freedom through the cross of Christ is a historical fact. Our understanding of this fact makes it a present reality.
A. The Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.