AMBASSADOR - What is your Purpose
What is YOUR Pupose?
What is YOUR Pupose?
What is Your Purpose?
Seth E Ross / General PHBC / / August 20, 2017
WHAT ARE YOU HERE FOR?
WHAT ARE YOU HERE FOR?
"Late one night a salesman drove into a strange city and tried to get a room in a hotel. The clerk informed him that there was no vacancy. Disappointed, he started to leave the lobby when a dignified gentleman offered to share his room with him. Gratefully the traveler accepted his kindness.
Just before retiring, the man who had shown such hospitality, knelt and prayed aloud. In his petition he referred to the stranger by name and asked the Lord to bless him. Upon awakening the next morning, he told his guest it was his habit to read the Bible and commune with God at the beginning of each day, and he asked if he would like to join him. The Holy Spirit had been speaking to the heart of this salesman, and when his host tactfully confronted him with the claims of Christ, he gladly received the Savior.
As the two were ready to part, they exchanged business cards. The new believer was amazed to read, “William Jennings Bryan, Secretary of State.”
—P. R. Van Gorder"
William Jennings Bryan understood that he was paid to go to that hotel by the United States of America.
• William Jennings Bryan understood that his career was to look out for the good of the United States of America.
• More so, William Jennings Bryan understood that he was no longer just a Secretary of State.
• William Jennings Bryan understood that he had been washed by the blood of JESUS CHRIST and his entire, job, role, function and life was caught up in the understanding of
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
William Jennings Bryan understood, that his life was not his own, but had been purchased by the blood of JESUS CHRIST!
• William Jennings Bryan knew who he was à A child of God
• William Jennings Bryan knew what he was doing in that hotel that night à Representing CHRIST.
William Jennings Bryan proved that night that the PURPOSE of his life was to be lived as a Representative and Ambassador for his true Boss, his KING, JESUS CHRIST!
• What about your life?
WHAT is Your PURPOSE: As an Individual
• What is the purpose of your life in CHRIST?
purpose |ˈpərpəs| noun the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exist
WHAT IF, you know there was a PURPOSE in Where you live, work, eat, play, pray and live...
WHAT IF you know GOD has a specific PURPOSE and plan for all the good and bad things and people that come into your life each day?
- CHRISTIAN, , says GOD does has a plan and uses all those things for YOUR GOOD and HIS GLORY!
that is the HUGE Topic of how GOD Providentially uses HIS Sovereignty over our lives for our good and HIS Glory.
That is too big of a topic for today.
Today, we have the simple task of seeing what GOD’s Word says about WHO YOU ARE and What your Purpose is, if you are IN CHRIST: Simple task =)
BUT, in light of the fact that we know it is true, we understand that GOD does have a PURPOSE for you Individually… in FACT… YOU HAVE 3 INDIVIDUAL PURPOSES IN the verses we are going to look at Today. Please LOOK WITH ME, at
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
21 For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
WHAT IS YOUR PURPOSE: As an Individual -
1. TO KNOW CHRIST v.17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
PT. GOD’s Word is clear here. IF you are in CHRIST, THEN your Entire Life has Changed! The old person is dead and GOD has given you new desires. Desires to Glory HIM and Live for HIM, rather than just living for yourself. THE FIRST PURPOSE GOD HAS FOR YOUR LIFE, IS THAT YOU WOULD KNOW CHRIST, and have New Life in HIM!
A. New (CREATION) 42.35 κτίζω; κτίσιςa, εως f: to make or create something which has not existed before—‘to create, creation’ (in the NT, used exclusively of God’s activity in creation).
Johannes P. Louw and Eugene Albert Nida, Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament: Based on Semantic Domains (New York: United Bible Societies, 1996), 513.
B. From NON-EXISTENT (100% empty) – to 100% Full in CHRIST!
C. This is the PURPOSE of our lives…
D. Not to live as Slaves to Sin and the Flesh – .
E. But to be MADE NEW in CHRIST!
DO YOU REALIZE: Every Single Soul that you have ever seen, was CREATED to have a RELATIONSHIP with GOD?
REMEMBER What Peter Wrote to Encourage believers.. (ESV)
9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
How will they reach repentance? Who will GOD use to bring to them the GOSPEL, the good News of JESUS CHRIST??? Well… CHRISTIAN, God’s Word says HE will use you!
THAT is PART of YOUR PURPOSE - Once you Submit your life to JESUS CHRIST as your LORD and SAVIOR, you are given work to do, as and our text today indicates. Look at with me.
2. TO KNOW YOUR MINISTRY v.18-19
All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation.
God’s Message from Genesis to Revelation is that Man has sinned and that sin separates them from GOD. Since our sin keeps us from being Reconciled to GOD, God the Son, JESUS, came, to take our place, in paying for our sins, in order to bring us back into fellowship with God the Father.
GOD Gave you the MINISTRY of SHARING a MESSAGE- Our message to a lost and dying world, is a MESSAGE of RECONCILIATION!
- THE GOSPEL is Not Just for US!... we are not the special few, but in fact, are called, to call out to all the LOST, to tell them what JESUS has done for us!
We are here to Tell the World, that they are Separated from GOD, but GOD has made a way to bring them back into fellowship with HIM.
B. You Were GIVEN, Entrusted with A MINISTRY! – Car Keys @ 16 [Car Keys, with PURPOSE]
[Car Keys, with PURPOSE]
- Just as the farmer do not get to some sticky green truck just so that he could hold them, so God did not give you the message of reconciliation, just to keep to yourself.
–no, the farmer gave his son the keys, to take the Grain to the Elevator.
- Just as GOD has given each CHRISTIAN a ministry
- What are you doing with the message of Reconciliation?
- Have you left the Truck Parked in the Drive Way, keys in hand, wheat rotting in the back
- or will you take the Message of GOD’s Grace to the world and spend the rest of your life, trying to find the bottom of the riches of GOD’s Grace?
What is the PURPOSE of your MINISTRY?
LOOK@ it with me v.20-21
3. TO MAKE CHRIST KNOWN v.20-21
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
- Sharing CHRIST with the World, begins with knowing WHO YOU ARE in CHRIST – you are An Ambassador.
YOU WERE NOT JUST GIVEN THE GOSPEL, You Were Made An Ambassador!
We MUST RECOGNIZE what that means
14 But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.
15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing,
16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?
17 For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God’s word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.
- You have New Life in JESUS, you have been brought into Fellowship with GOD and now your entire life is to be lived as HIS Representative to the WORLD! THE SCENT OF LIFE OR DEATH
v.16 ASKS, WHO is SUFFICIENT for THESE THINGS?
- In us, none of us…
- in CHRIST, all of us!
- How are you Equipped to share the Message of JESUS with the World?
- I would make a Great COFFEE AMBASSADOR because I know Coffee, you want to be a Great Ambassador for JESUS, Get to know more about JESUS!
PT. If you Know CHRIST, then the ministry of Reconciliation, starts with simply letting the World around you know what JESUS has done for you!
YOU ARE READY to Share the GOSPEL, simply because you know, what JESUS has done for you!
TRANSITION: OK, So your Purpose as an Individual who has submitted their life to JESUS CHRIST as their LORD and SAVIOR, has 3 parts from our text today.
FIRST, you Must KNOW CHRIST
THEN, you must KNOW YOUR MINISTRY
WHEN you KNOW CHRIST, you will MAKE CHRIST KNOWN, to the world around you, every day you live!
• William Jennings Bryan knew his Purpose in this life.
• He knew who he was as an individual ambassador for JESUS CHRIST.
NOTE: Did you see the part in , where it talks about how long the New Creation in CHRIST, should be in church for or go to school for before he is allowed to carry the message of reconciliation to the rest of the world as an Ambassador of CHRIST?
Did you see how that is a rare privilege, that is only given to a few who love the LORD enough to represent him?
I did not see that in those verse either.
- What we saw today, was that when GOD saved the individual, HE Equips them to do HIS Work, for HIS Glory, in this world.
APPLY: unfortunately, that means two things for you and I today.
1. It means that no matter how much more education God allows to receive, I will NEVER be More or Less Called to be HIS AMBASSADOR to the world!
2. It also means that no lack of education or understanding WILL EVER DISQUALIFY you & I, from being an Ambassador for JESUS CHRIST, to all those who sit next to us at work, at school, at the hospital, the nursing home, the local starbucks or on the tractor, every day, that GOD gives us life to live for HIM!
Once that young salesman met Mr. Bryan, believed in JESUS and submitted his life to CHRIST, he immediately had a new need in his life.
He needed to find a body of believers who had submitted their lives to JESUS CHRIST, and faithfully taught the Word of GOD.
He needed that, in order to be built up, to be equipped, as a saint, to do the work of the ministry, that GOD immediately had given him, as an Ambassador of JESUS CHRIST!
Who you are… Is an Ambassador of JESUS CHRIST
Who we are as a Church… is a Body of Ambassadors, gathering to remind ourselves and deepen our understanding of what GOD’s Word says about WHO GOD IS and Who we are in CHRIST, so we can go and tell the world about our King. WE WILL TALK MORE ABOUT THAT NEXT WEEK.
IMPLEMENT: FOR THIS WEEK: This is what I want you to do, today. At lunch. Think about, write down or send a text message to yourself, with a list of 5 places you will be given an opportunity to be an ambassador for JESUS CHRIST, this week.
• Keep that list with you. Pray over those opportunities and pray for GOD to give you and opportunity to show HIS Love and Share HIS Word with others this week.
• If you find out, the people there are saved, you will encourage them in CHRIST.
• If you find out they are lost, you will have at least shown them the love of CHRIST, and carried forth your mission as an Ambassador of JESUS CHRIST.