Big Idea: There is and always had been but one unique church that belongs to Christ.
- Yellow Book for Eastern Shore – 42 denominational categories just here in Daphne, Fairhope and Spanish Fort.
- Within these there is a multiplicity of doctrines, a variety of faiths and many different practices. The contrasts can be staggering – some accept baptism, some do not, some accept infant baptism while others reject it. Some believe the Bible in its entirety, others reject portions. Most worship on Sunday, others on Saturday, some say you must approach God through a man, others reject such a notion. Some declare salvation is for all, some say for a few. Can all be right?
- Common to hear people speak of “unity in diversity.” Perhaps “unity in error” would be better.
- Let’s ask the question as did Paul, “Is Christ divided?” (1 Corinthians 1:13) The answer is clearly “No!”
- The question of whether the church of the New Testament exists is a critical question that directly impacts the souls of millions – even billions. Let’s turn to the Scriptures for an answer.