7 Do You Pray - Ps 27_7
Do You PRAY? - Ps 27:7
> * Muslims pray because they are commanded to (5 times a day) and strict guidelines are laid down for this.
- Fox News 12/6/06 Residents of a southern Somalia town who do not pray five times a day will be beheaded, an official said Wednesday, adding the edict will be implemented in three days. (After three days they "will definitely be beheaded according to Islamic law,"
> * Buddhists don’t (strictly speaking) pray. They are seeking something within themselves.
> * Hindus pray and offer gifts to one of their many gods.
> * Christians meet with God in prayer, as a child would meet his parent, because they have a direct relationship with Him. God, in the person of Jesus Christ, expressed His love to us by living as we would, and ultimately giving His life on the cross in our place so that we can have this relationship.
+ Why Is There No Prayer?
- People live their lives without God
- We can do without prayer - We are fine just the way that we are
- Job 21 - Zophar being answered by
Job his third friend
> Job 21:14-15 Therefore they say unto
God, Depart from us; for we desire not the knowledge of thy ways. What is the Almighty, that we should serve him? and what profit should we have, if we pray unto him?
- Yet the most essential thing in our
lives began with Prayer
- Life can be exhausting &
- Prayer is essential for life
- The fuel for Jesus’ ministry was love.
- Jesus drew from the power source of
His Father’s love through prayer
+ Ps 27:7
> Hear Me — Has a Focus
> One that can answer
> To listen to attentively
> To give a cause as before a judge
> Have Mercy upon Me — Has a Plea
> Spurgeon Mercy is the hope of sinners
> Mercy is therefuge of saints.
> Answer Me — Has an Expected
> - An acknowledgment
> - Wanting the Lord’s agreement
+ Hezekiah’s Action 2 Kings 18
> 2 Kings 18:3 – He did
> 2 Kings 18:4 – He removed
> 2 Kings 18:5 – He trusted
> 2 Kings 18:6 – He followed
> 2 Kings 18:7 – He Prospered
+ Hezekiah’s Problem
> 2 Kings 18:9-11 – Saw the
Assyrians destroy Samaria
> 2 Kings 18:13 – Judah Attached
> 2 Kings 18:15-16 Paid ransom -
$1.5 million dollars
> 2 Kings 18:17- 37
– Now Surrender
- 2 Kings 18:34-35; 19:11-12
= And your God will not help
+ Hezekiah’s Prayer
> Hear me 2 Kings – 19:14-16
> Have Mercy Upon – Me
2 Kings 19:17-19
> Answer me 2 Kings – 19:20;32–34
+ The atom and it’s explosive force is
the greatest force known to man.
- It can’t be compared with the Power
> Man & Prayer
> Manhattan Project would eventually
employ more than 130,000 people
> Cost a total of nearly $2 billion
> On August 6, 1945 the USA dropped
an atomic bomb on Hiroshima,
and three days later on Nagasaki, Japan.
- These two atomic bombs dropped
over Japan killed around 92,000 people, and brought an end to World War II, now talk about power?
- That is great power.
- That was great power, but God has
more power than that.
> In one prayer a hopeless King
Hezekiah prayed over Jerusalem’s
> 2 Kings 19:35
- God sent one angel and killed 185,000
of the enemy
- Prayer has explosive power
- 2 Ch 7:14I f my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.