Why Take The Gc Seriously
TEXT: 2 COR. 5:11‑21
SUBJECT: GREAT COMMISSION
THEME: OUR RESPONSE
WHY TAKE THE GREAT COMMISSION SERIOUSLY?
INTRODUCTION: In 1923, there was a meeting at the Edgewater Beach Hotel in Chicago.
IN attendance were 9 successful financiers:
1. President of the largest independent steel company.
2. President of the largest utility company.
3. President of the largest gas company.
4. Successful wheat speculator.
5. President of the N.Y. Stock Exchange.
6. Member of the President's Cabinet.
7. Successful stock broker.
8. Head of the most powerful monopolies.
9. President of the Bank of International settlements.
25 YEARS LATER
1. President of the largest steel company Charles Schwab died bankrupt and lived on
borrowed money for five years before his death.
2. President of the largest utility company ‑ Samuel Insul died a fugitive from justice
and penniless in a foreign land.
3. President of Gas company, Howard Hopson went insane.
4. Wheat speculator Arthur Cotton died abroad insolvent.
5. President of the N.Y. Stock Exchange Richard Whitney released from Sing Sing.
6. Member of Presidential Cabinet Albert Fall pardoned from prison to die at home.
7. The "Bear" on Wall Street Jesse Livermore ‑ suicide.
8. Head of the greatest monopoly Ivan Kreuger ‑ suicide.
9. President of Bank of International Settlements Leon Fraser ‑ suicide.
These men climbed the ladder of success only to find... What are we to do with our
lives? What is our purpose? What does it mean to be successful?
PROPOSITION: Why should we take the Great Commission Seriously?
T.S. Let's look at 6 reasons why.
1A. IT IS COMMANDED ‑ THIS IS ENOUGH
1B. Matthew 28:19&20 "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to
me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the
name of the father and of the son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to
obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I will be with you always,
to the end of the very age."
2B. John 20:21 "Again Jesus said Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me,
I am sending you."
3B. Acts 1:8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and
you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to
the ends of the earth."
4B. Well Mark, these commands were for the Apostles, not for me.
1C. Read 1 Peter 3:8‑15
2A. THE FEAR OF THE LORD ‑ 2 Cor. 5:9‑11a
1B. A deep respect mingled with an awe.
1C. φόβος (phobos), fear, state of terror (Mt 28:8; 2Co 7:5); source or occasion of fear (Ro 13:3); reverence, adj. worshiping respect (Ac 9:31; 2Co 5:11)
2B. The thought of one standing before the Lord awed Paul.
3B. Why? Because we are accountable to God who fully knows the heart.
4B. ILLUSTRATION: Gen. George Patton when taking command of a recently
defeated army in WWII said "They'll lose their fear of the Germans, but I
hope to God they never lose their fear of me." Accountability motivates.
3A. LOVE OF CHRIST ‑ 2 COR. 5:14&15
1B. How does this work?
1C. I have the power to love.
2C. The desire is because I am loved.
2B. ILLUSTRATION: Woman I know was sexually abused as a child. She had
to get married. Father abused her emotionally. She had no self concept.
Husband told her one day, "Why can't you be like Brenda." One of the main
responsibilities of the church is to witness for Jesus Christ.
3B. We need to nurture this relationship at all costs!
4A. ENTRUSTED WITH THE MINISTRY OF RECONCILIATION 2 COR.5:18‑20
1B. What is reconciliation?
1C. as restoring relationship between individuals or between God and man reconcile, change from enmity to friendship (2C 5.18); passive be or become reconciled (RO 5.10)
2B. ILLUSTRATION: Doug Riding & Paul Mcaninch., Assembly of God.
5A. THE UNCERTAINTY OF LIFE JAMES 4:13&14
1B. James 4:13-14 “Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.
2B. Last Saturday enjoying the Rocky Mountains and back home a good friends husband was killed in an automobile accident.
3B. Morning newspaper articles.
6A. THE UNCERTAINTY OF THE LORDS RETURN II PETER 3:9‑14
1B. ILLUSTRATION: Dad is on a trip. Mom is keeping an obedience chart.
If they do well, they will get a treat. One night Brenda said on phone
"Do you want me to tell your father?"
2B. If you aren't in obedience, the Lord's return will be unpleasant.
CONCLUSION: Why should we take the Great Commission seriously?
1. It is commanded.
2. The Fear of the Lord.
3. Love of Christ.
4. Ministry of reconciliation ‑ Ambassadors.
5. Uncertainty of Life.
6. Certainty of the Lord's return.