Colossians 2:9–10 - He Makes Us Complete
9 For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily,
10 and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority.
Although we cannot fully comprehend what the fulness of the deity (Godhead) means, it is ours to make us complete.
What attributes God has to bring us to salvation and sanctification:
Omnipotence - God’s unlimited authority to bring into existence or cause to happen whatsoever he wills.
- “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns.”
Omniscience - God’s infinite knowledge and understanding of things past, present, and future.
- “And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”
Walter A. Elwell and Barry J. Beitzel, “Omniscience,” Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1988), 1588.
Omnipresence - Aspect of God’s infinity in which he transcends the limitations of space and is present in all places at all times.
- “Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the Lord.”
Immutability - The attribute of God whereby He cannot change or be changed in His essence or perfections.
- “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”
Alan Cairns, Dictionary of Theological Terms (Belfast; Greenville, SC: Ambassador Emerald International, 2002), 224.
Infallibility - God is free from any fault or wrong
- “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;”
His grace and faith are vast, immeasurable
His wisdom - our direction
His justice - our surety
His love - our comfort
His mercy - our solace
His immutability - our trust
We can be satisfied with His goodness and have confidence in calling upon Him when we seek His love and power that have already been promised to us through Jesus Christ.