Herod's Self Destructive Arrogance
Examining Peter’s Keepers
19. examined the keepers—who, either like the keepers of our Lord’s sepulchre, had “shaken and become as dead men” (Mt 28:4), or had slept on their watch and been divinely kept from awaking.
Herod Upset at Tyre and Sidon
20. Herod was … displeased with them of Tyre and Sidon—for some reason unknown; but the effect on their commercial relations made the latter glad to sue for peace.
their country was nourished by the king’s country—See 1 Ki 5:11; Ezr 3:7; Ez 27:17. Perhaps the famine (Ac 11:28) made them the more urgent for reconciliation.
Herod Adorns Himself
(344) On the second day of which shows he put on a garment made wholly of silver, and of a contexture truly wonderful, and came into the theatre early in the morning; at which time the silver of his garment being illuminated by the fresh reflection of the sun’s rays upon it, shone out after a surprising manner, and was so resplendent as to spread a horror over those that looked intently upon him;
(345) and presently his flatterers cried out, one from one place, and another from another (though not for his good), that he was a god; and they added, “Be thou merciful to us; for although we have hitherto reverenced thee only as a man, yet shall we henceforth own thee as superior to mortal nature.”
Herod is only a man
(346) Upon this the king did neither rebuke them, nor reject their impious flattery. But, as he presently afterwards looked up, he saw an owl sitting on a certain rope over his head, and immediately understood that this bird was the messenger of ill tidings, as it had once been the messenger of good tidings to him; and fell into the deepest sorrow. A severe pain also arose in his belly, and began in a most violent manner.
1im•me•di•ate•ly \i-ˈmē-dē-ət-lē also -ˈmē-dit-, Britain often -ˈmē-jit-\ adverb
1: in direct connection or relation: DIRECTLY 〈the parties immediately involved in the case〉 〈the house immediately beyond this one〉
2: without interval of time: STRAIGHTWAY 〈I’ll make that call immediately〉