How to Have a Proper Memorial
How to Have a Proper Memorial; NV 5/25/03 AM
OS: A Football Game, (empty seat) – They’re all at the funeral
I. Memorial Day is a special day to remember ‘people’ not ‘things’. Basic 101 Life
A. B PEOPLE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THINGS! We tend to value things and use people.
B. C WE SHOULD VALUE PEOPLE AND USE THINGS.
C. ILL.- Actress Sophia Loren sobbed to Italian movie director Vittorio De Sica over the theft of her jewelry, he said to her, "Listen to me, Sophia. I am much older than you and if there is one great truth I have learned about life, it is this: D NEVER CRY OVER ANYTHING THAT CAN’T CRY OVER YOU!"
1. In other words, people are more important than things! Why cry over material things that will some day cease to exist?
2. People are eternal beings. We should value people more than material things!
II. The problem is: our values are all mixed up! Why?
A. ILL.- The Prankster who broke into a large expensive department store and switched all the price tags. Cheap items were priced at thousands of dollars while expensive items were priced at only a $1 or $2.
1. This is exactly what the Devil has done to confuse people on planet earth and I might add, he has succeeded quite well! HE HAS SWITCHED THE PRICE TAGS ON US!
B. "We may give our child $20 to go to the show and then we give them a $1 to go to Sunday School."
III. On this Memorial Day Weekend I want us to remember the people who have sacrificed their time, energy, money, and even their lives for our benefit.
A. Let us be encouraged by their devotion.
B. Let us run the race marked out for us.
C. Text: E Hebrews 12:1-2
TS] Three Step process to a proper and productive time of memorial.
I. F Remember
A. G H I Hebrews 11:32-40
B. Those who gave their lives for our freedom.
C. Those who, over the years, have sacrificed their time, energy, money, and talents for this church.
TS] They have passed on the Patton to us, and there is one thing we must do before we can run the race…
II. J Repent
A. Throw off the sin that so easily entangles us.
1. Sin doesn’t just destroy us, but it destroys all the good we could do without it!
2. We take on just a little bit, and then a little more, and more, and before we know we are burdened down, and we think that’s just the way it is.
B. The world isn’t worth it!
1. K Hebrews 12:14-17
III. L Run
A. Consider them, but fix your eyes on Jesus and run the race.
B. What are we talking about when we say run?
1. Becoming like Jesus is the overall picture. M Romans 8 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.
2. Live worthy of the price paid for our freedom
3. Serve worthy of those who have shed their blood, sweat, and tears for this family.
Conclusion – Look at the price Jesus paid, … and it was a joy!