Kingdom Living 4 - The Pursuit of Peace
Kingdom Living 4 – The Pursuit of Peace; nv 5/20/07am
OS: 1 googled “inner peace” 3,650,000 hits. -free self-help software for Inner Peace - book “Steps toward inner peace” by Peace Pilgrim
I. “I just want a moment of peace” seems to be the call of our day. (Time out)
A. My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start.
So far today, I have finished 2 bags of chips and a chocolate cake. I feel better already.
1. Newest gadget to insure peace at home? phone less cord!
2. We can send a man to the moon, but we can’t seem to alleviate stress in our lives.
B. Fact is, the Mayo Clinic claims 80-85% of total caseload due to worry and anxiety.- Many experts say that coping with stress is the #1 health priority of our day.
II. Jesus has something to say about that in our text this morning – 2 Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. … Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. (presupposes conflict)
A. Attitude – Don’t get so uptight – its not worth it. Roll with the flow.
B. Your peace of mind depends on you – not your surroundings.
1. “I’d be happy if they would…or he/she would…”
III. How to get a better handle on life – “Blessed” – mercy and peacemaking.
TS] Facts of Life:
I. 3 Life is not Fair, but God is Just. (demands mercy & peacemaking)
A. Remember – Personal conflict is the subject.
1. God has established governments to maintain some sense of justice – but we live in a fallen world.
2. Personal vendettas are not justified in the bible.
3. God will make all right – Vengeance is mine, I will repay!
B. It is natural to desire fairness – Little League parents – not the game, but fairness.
C. Jesus doesn’t abolish the need for justice here.
1. Showing mercy and making peace doesn’t remove the consequences.
II. 4 What goes around comes around. (the measure you use…)
A. Kids – “I’ll get you back one day!” This is different – Opposite
B. 5 Matthew 6:14-15, 6 7:1-2
C. Parable of the unmerciful servant
1. 7 Matthew 18:23, “Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?”…35, “This how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.”
D. 8 Romans 5:8-10, But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!
TS] Life is not fair, What goes around comes around…
III. Undeserved Mercy makes a powerful impact.
A. 10 Matthew 5:43-48
1. Shock you co-worker, neighbor? Be merciful when they don’t deserve it.
2. When they ask why or say thanks tell them the reason – God has been merciful to you.
B. 11 If you have experienced God’s mercy and peace by setting apart Christ as Lord in your hearts – you can truly give people a reason for the hope that lies within you.