Hebrews 11: 1-6
What is Faith?
Confident trust in someone or something
Faith is the assurance/confidence that the things hoped for will become a present reality
Faith is the evidence/proof that makes us see and understand the world as we know it
DOB, Belief that other countries exist
Cause and Effect- Action based on cause
Why is Faith Important To Us?
- Without it no one can please God (v.6)
- We will fail to believe in God’s existence
- We will fail to believe that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him
- Where can God be found-The Living Word, Written Word, Nature, Poor…
Illustration of boy who lost key- Key watching him
How can our faith be deepened?
- Know The Difference Between The Shepherd's Voice and the World's Voice
- The voice of the Shepherd is not the voice of the world
- The Bible tells us, “My sheep hear my voice…”
- What do I mean by the voice of the world? (i.e., World Systems- Materialism (Lk 12:20- A man’s life does not consist …, Hedonism, Individualism, Popularism…)
- Examples of the how the world communicates- TV, Learning Institutions, internet, etc.
- Take care of what seeds are being sown, esp. in our children The Bible tells us that though we live in the world we are not of the world
- Am I trying to create enemies with the world? No! The world already is the enemy of the Church. Am I trying to evoke hatred from the world? Again, No! The world already hates the Church.
- We must decide which voice we will trust and subsequently which voice we will obey
Study God’s Written Word
- Take the study of God’s Word seriously (2 Tim. 3:15)
- Listen to the preached Word (Faith cometh by hearing…)
- Take Bible study seriously, personal and collective
- Meet with the saints regularly (Do not forsake…)
- Example of great cricket player
- To be a great Christian, hang around great Christians
- Do not substitute listening to christian radio stations with actual fellowship (unless unable)
- Sometimes we don’t feel like going to church, because of tensions, malice, boredom, etc…
- Illustration of pastor who didn’t want to go to church
- Try not to ask what did I get … Ask what did I give
- Exercise that faith- Finding areas to serve (Faith without works is dead)
- Sometimes we look for the easy, most comfortable lifestyle or area to serve
- But Jesus says “In as much as you did it to the least of my brethren…”
- Allow our faith to be challenged by doing what He tells us to do
To be more authentic Christians with credible witnesses will require a deeper and closer walk with God. We must again be a people who walk by faith, not sight.
Where are we in our journey of faith? With all the advancements in technology, and all the talk about how progressive we are as a society, are we still able to believe in the simple, yet profound Word of God?