Transfiguration Sunday 2007
Transfiguration Sunday 2007
1. The collect (summing up collect ) says" deliver us from the darkness of this world, and change us into his likeness".
a. Wouldn't you love to be just like Jesus? To Love like Jesus! To be compassionate like Jesus! To be wise and sinless like Jesus!
b. That's our goal! Not that we can ever attain this kind of perfection this side of heaven. But
c. That's what Jesus taught us, isn't it (to be like Him) and the apostles encouraged us to "walk in a manner worthy of the calling in which you were called" (eph 4:1)
d. Transformation of our entire being, into the likeness of Jesus Christ is a life long journey with glimpses of His Awesome Glory on the way.
2. We read about Jesus' Transfiguration on the mount. (His Glory was revealed)
a. I suspect that the 3 disciple had no idea what was going to take place.
1. thought Jesus just going to pray. (they were tired)(sleepy)
2. same disciple that witnessed raising of Jarius daughter and Jesus agony in the garden.
3. disciples saw two men talking with Jesus. Recognized them right away. Moses and Elijah.
4. They see Jesus' GLORY. As He became dazzling white(white & gleaming, white & glistening ,blinding white)
5. The OT lesson. Moses face glowed when returned from God's presence bringing the second set of Law tablets off the mountain.
6. people were afraid of him so he veiled his face when speaking to them. (Paul tells us that the veil was to conceal the fading Glory of the law.
7. You see Humanity will never be right and acceptable to the Holy God through obeying the law because we keep disobeying the laws. (the glory that was being set aside) for a more perfect Glory in Jesus)
3. Moses and Elijah was speaking to Jesus about Death:
a. From this moment on Jesus ministry took him to Jerusalem & crucifixion.
What the Mosaic law was unable to do The law of Grace through Jesus would. (Gal 2:16 "we know that a person is justified?d? not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ.?"
4 The lesson for us is that we can have a spiritual Transfiguration experience Each day we walk with the Lord - Rom12:1-2 and 2 Cor. 3:18 tell us how.
a. As we surrender our bodies, our minds (thoughts) and wills to Jesus ,He will transform us from within so that we are not conformed to the world.
b. Much of the worlds ways and views and practices take us away from seeing and experiencing God's grace and Glory. They hinder us in becoming Christ like.
c. I think that the church as a whole is in the state that it is because to the outsider it is no different than any other organization. No different than the local Legion, fire department social club. BUT it is supposed to be!
Conclusion:Mission impossible: "this mission if you decide to take it"
a) A choice we make.
b) Life changing choice
c) Not always easy. (scriptures say there will be crosses to bear) Often we will be called on to make choices that seem to us to involve great cost, to our pride, social positions, our pocket books, (any others)
d) BUT As one commentator put it,: "if we remember that beyond each cross God calls on us to bear, and beyond the little death that obedience may seem to involve, lies the splendor of Transformation."
I feel we are blessed by God- having sent Rev. Baird and her husband Dave, among us to be our pastor and teacher and this can be a great opportunity for us to find new direction and meaning as a Christian community. To help us become the LOVING men and women and children God wants us to be. (wandering about in the wilderness)
She will need our support in helping her to lead us.
And all of us, with unveiled faces, seeing the glory of the Lord as though reflected in a mirror, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord, the Spirit.
d Or reckoned as righteous; and so elsewhere