With Jesus, we can see
With Jesus, we can “see”
Text: John 9.1-7
Thesis: To note that Jesus alone can open our eyes so that we may see
(1) One of the seven miracles recorded in the gospel according to John is the healing of the blind man.
(2) Let us see ourselves as the blind man:
I. As a sinner, we live in darkness:
A. Sin is compared to darkness:
1. “For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son” (Col 1:13).
2. “For you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light” (Eph 5:8).
B. In darkness, we are blind:
1. “But the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes” (1 John 2:11).
2. Jesus said that “he who walks in darkness does not know where he goes” (John 12:35).
3. Think of how you are in the darkness at a strange place.
II. With Jesus, we can live in light:
A. Jesus Himself is the light.
1. “Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life” (John 8:12).
2. “The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it” (John 1:5).
B. We must go to the light.
1. Some do not go: “This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil” (John 3:19).
2. Instead of that, we must “believe in the Light, so that you may become sons of Light” (John 12:26).
C. When we come to the light, Jesus will open our eyes so that we may see.
1. He “has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light” (1 Pet. 2:9).
2. “But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light” (Eph 5:13).
3. He will open your eyes in His own way (e.g., applying clay to eyes, baptism).
4. “But if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin”
(1 John 1:7)
(1) Are you walking in darkness?
(2) Will you come to Jesus so that you may see?