The Sermon on the Mount #1 - Attitude Adjustment
The Sermon on the Mount #1:
Text: Matthew 5:1-9
A. We are to be dependant upon God (Mat. 5:3).
1. We can’t make it ourselves.
2. We must let go of self and submit unto God, and He will take care of us (Mat. 6:25-34).
B. We must desire not to sin (Mat. 5:4).
1. Sin will separate one from God (Isa. 59:1,2).
2. We must have Godly sorrow (II Cor. 7:10).
C. We must determine to be strong in the Lord (Mat. 5:5).
1. Meekness is not weakness.
2. Moses was meek (Num. 12:3).
3. The strength is in the Lord.
4. We must fight in the name of the Lord (I Sam. 17:45).
D. We must be diligently seeking righteousness (Mat. 5:6).
1. The soul of the diligent shall be made fat (Prov. 13:4).
2. The ASV—“Give diligence…” (II Tim. 2:15).
E. We must demonstrate mercy to others (Mat. 5:7).
1. We must extend mercy in order to obtain mercy.
2. We must forgive in order to be forgiven (Mat. 6:15).
F. We must be dedicated to seeking purity (Mat. 5:8).
1. Our whole being should be acceptable in God’s sight.
2. We must buy the truth and sell it not (Prov. 23:23).
G. We must display peace in our lives (Mat. 5:9).