Matthew - THE LIFE OF A CHRISTIAN
THE LIFE OF A CHRISTIAN
Text: Matthew 5:1-16
Thesis: To show that the life of a Christian is the greatest life to be lived.
1. Many view the Christian’s life as a sad, unenjoyable life.
2. Many view the life of a Christian as only on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday night.
3. One must live for Christ daily (Phil. 1:21).
4. The life of a Christian is the greatest life possible, and it is to be lived every hour and day.
5. We will look at 3 points of the life of a Christian.
I. The attitude of a Christian.
A. We are to be dependant upon God (Mat. 5:3).
1. We can’t make it ourselves.
2. We must let go of self and submit unto God, and He will take care of us (Mat. 6:25-34).
B. We must desire not to sin (Mat. 5:4).
1. Sin will separate one from God (Isa. 59:1,2).
2. We must have Godly sorrow (II Cor. 7:10).
C. We must determine to be strong in the Lord (Mat. 5:5).
1. Meekness is not weakness.
2. Moses was meek (Num. 12:3).
3. The strength is in the Lord.
4. We must fight in the name of the Lord (I Sam. 17:45).
D. We must be diligently seeking righteousness (Mat. 5:6).
1. The soul of the diligent shall be made fat (Prov. 13:4).
2. The ASV—“Give diligence…” (II Tim. 2:15).
E. We must demonstrate mercy to others (Mat. 5:7).
1. We must extend mercy in order to obtain mercy.
2. We must forgive in order to be forgiven (Mat. 6:15).
F. We must be dedicated to seeking purity (Mat. 5:8).
1. Our whole being should be acceptable in God’s sight.
2. We must buy the truth and sell it not (Prov. 23:23).
G. We must display peace in our lives (Mat. 5:9).
II. The afflictions of a Christian (Mat. 5:10-12).
A. Men will revile a Christian (Mat. 5:11).
1. We will suffer persecution (II Tim. 3:12).
2. Men persecuted Christ.
B. We must rejoice when we are persecuted (Mat. 5:12).
1. We must not be ashamed (I Pet. 4:16).
2. We must count it worthy to suffer for the cause of Christ (Acts 5:41).
C. We will be rewarded for overcoming (Mat. 5:12).
1. We will receive a crown of life (Rev. 2:10).
2. We will inherit all things (Rev. 21:7).
III. The appearance of a Christian (Mat. 5:13-16).
A .We must always have a daily influence upon others.
B. Men should be able to imitate out lives (I Cor. 11:1).
C. Glorifying God is the incentive of living a pure life (Mat. 5:16).
1. We have looked at the attitude, afflictions, and appearance of a Christian.
2. It truly is the greatest life for one to live.
3. If Christianity became illegal in the United States:
- Would you be found guilty of being a Christian?
- Would there be any evidence to convict you?
- Would there be any witnesses to convict you?