John - You will keep my commandments
“… you will keep my commandments”
Text: John 14.15b.
Thesis: To note that one with a personal relationship with Jesus will demonstrate it by keeping
the commandments of Jesus.
(1) I do note believe that Jesus is saying, “Prove it.”
(a) Instead, Jesus seems to be saying that when we truly love him then we will be fully doing what He asks of us.
1) True disciples obey Jesus (John 8.31).
2) True sheep follow their Shepherd (John 10.27).
(b) Love without obeying is faith without works; therefore, dead!
(2) Think of earthly relationships: Actions speak louder than words.
(3) Let us note 2 main points concerning the keeping of Jesus’ commandments:
I. The Purpose of Jesus’ commandments:
A. Is Jesus just trying to be mean and rob us of joy?
1. No, instead His commandments are for our benefit.
a. “These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full” (John 15.11).
b. “But these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name” (John 20.31).
c. “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8.32).
2. We may not always understand how they are for our benefit, but we must learn to “trust and obey” because God knows best (cf. Isa. 55.9 – “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher that your ways and my thoughts that your thoughts.”).
B. Think about this: The same love that gave us the Savior gave us the Scriptures.
II. The Product of Jesus’ commandments:
A. We will be sanctified (John 17.17).
B. We will have guidance (Jer. 10.23).
C. We will be like Jesus (1 John 3.1-3).
(1) “And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says ‘I know him’ but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may be sure that we are in him” (1 John 2.3-5).
(2) Will you be a friend of Jesus (John 15.14 – “You are my friends if you do what I command you”)?