Thesis: To encourage Christians to practice modesty.
(1) Immodesty is a problem that has been around from the beginning.
(a) In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve were properly clothed by God after the entrance of sin.
(b) In Genesis 38, Tamar “played the harlot,” which obviously involved a certain style.
(2) Immodesty continues to be a problem today from Madonna to Britney Spears.
(3) What does the Bible say about this matter?
I. The Bible demands that Christians dress and act modestly.
A. In 1 Cor. 11:2-16, Paul addresses the matter of the head-covering.
1. In this discussion, he argues that women are to wear the head-covering because of the negative connotations attached to one’s not wearing it.
2. Thus, the implication is that one should be aware of the image that he/she is conveying by his/her dress and actions.
B. In 1 Tim. 2:8-15, Paul addresses the matter of the role of women.
1. In this discussion, he states that women are to “adorn themselves in modest apparel” (v. 9).
a. In the context, women were dressing immodestly because they were overdressing and drawing undue attention to themselves.
b. Obviously, the same applies for underdressing.
2. No doubt, this principle likewise applies to men.
C. In addition to modest dress, one must act modestly.
1. In Gal. 5:19-21, Paul enumerates some of the works of the flesh.
a. ‘Lewdness’ (Gr. aselgia) means “lack of self-constraint which involves one in conduct that violates all bounds of what is socially acceptable, self-abandonment” (BDAG).
b. ‘Revelries’ (Gr. komos) refers to “lascivious feastings, with obscene songs, music” (Clarke’s).
2. Hence, Christians must refrain from such acts.
a. E.g., sex is only for married couples.
b. Further, many other things must also be avoided such as lustful dancing.
II. Consider some suggestions for practicing modesty:
A. Regarding one’s dress …
1. Wear clothes that cover appropriately and fit properly.
2. Be aware of the image that is being conveyed.
3. Remember who you are to represent (i.e., God).
B. Regarding one’s actions …
1. Set appropriate boundaries.
2. Stay away from places of temptations.
3. Have fun as a Christian.
(1) Allow others to see Jesus in you in all areas of your life.
(2) Therefore, practice modesty.