Parents, it's your job!
“Parents, it’s your job!”
Text: Deut. 6:7
Thesis: To stress that the primary responsibility of all parents is to teach their children
(1) Parenting is one of the most rewarding and one of the most difficult tasks of life.
(2) Yet, many parents today are opting out of their responsibilities and are looking to everyone else to do their job for them.
(3) Nevertheless, it is still their job to raise their children.
(4) This being true, let us focus in on the primary obligation that each parent has in raising his/her children: i.e., to teach his/her children about God.
I. Deut 6:4-9
4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. (NIV)
II. Eph 6:4
4 And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord. (NKJV)
III. Prov 22:6
6 Train a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it. (NIV)
- Parents, will you step up to the plate and do your job?