Hope from Hebrews #15 - A Clear Conscience
Text: Hebrews 9:1-14
Thesis: To emphasize the true forgiveness found in Jesus.
(1) With a better covenant, we also are able to have a clearer conscience.
(2) Let us examine why Jesus is able to give us a clearer conscience.
I. First, let us note the inadequacy of the Old Covenant.
A. With the Old Covenant, man had limited access.
1. “Throughout the ages of the Old Covenant, there was no direct access to God, period!” (Hughes 1:228).
a. The average Israelites could only have access to the front of the courtyard.
b. The priest could have access to the outer room/the holy place.
c. Only the high priest could have access to the holy of holies, but this access was only for one day a year (i.e., the Day of Atonement).
B. With the Old Covenant, man had limited efficacy.
1. The sacrifices must be repeated every year.
2. The sacrifices could not bring about a clear conscience for the sinner.
II. Second, let us note the adequacy of the New Covenant.
A. With the New Covenant, man has unlimited access.
1. Jesus, the Great High Priest, entered into the holy of holies once for all time.
2. By so doing, He has granted continual direct access with God for all who are cleansed by His sacrifice.
B. With the New Covenant, man has unlimited efficacy.
1. Jesus’ sacrifice was offered only once and is sufficient for all time.
2. Jesus’ sacrifice is able to bring about a clear conscience for the sinner.
(1) Only with Jesus can you truly be forgiven!
(2) How is your conscience?