Great Old Testament Questions #1 - Am I My Brother's Keeper
Text: Gen. 4.3ff.
Thesis: To prove that we are indeed our brother’s keepers.
(1) Many changes, but some things still remain the same.
(2) We live in a “look out for number one” society.
(3) Story of girl being raped; eyewitnesses; did not help b/c did not want to be involved
(4) Missionaries turned down yearly b/c of no support
(5) Story of Cain:
“Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is Abel your brother?" And he said, "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?" (Gen. 4.9)
I. Why am I to be “my brother’s keeper?”
A. God cursed Cain because he was not (Gen. 4.10-11).
B. What we do to others, we do to Jesus – “Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me” (Matt. 25.40).
C. The “second great commandment” teaches us to love our neighbor as ourselves (Matt. 22.39).
D. We are family, brother’s and sister’s in Christ.
E. All men are made in the image of God (Gen. 1.26).
F. Simply, “love” teaches us to be our brother’s keepers.
1. Jesus taught us that.
a. John 15.13 – “Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends”
b. Jesus went to the cross because of love and being His brother’s keeper.
2. God taught us that.
a. John 3.16
b. Rom. 5.6-8
3. Christians = Christ-like; thus, brother’s keeper
4. 1 Cor 13 – The greatest of these is love!
II. How am I to be “my brother’s keeper?”
A. More than words – James 2.15-17
B. The Golden Rule – Matt. 7.12
C. Jesus’ Example – Phil. 2.5-11
1. “Do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others” (Phil. 2.4).
2. Jesus left the splendor of Heaven to become a man to die upon cruel calvary all because He was His brother’s keeper.
3. He saw a need and reacted out of love, He did not count the cost.
D. It doesn’t have to be something great, start today with the small things and they will make all of the difference in the world.
E. Story of high school student helping another
(1) We live in a cruel world but we can let our light so shine so that others may see the Father in us by our love.
(2) Will you be your brother’s keeper?