Are you building a tower of Babel today
Text: Genesis 11:1-9
Thesis: To stress the importance of humility and trusting in God.
(1) People have always had a desire to be famous.
(2) Today, we see extremes of this in terms of reality television.
(3) However, most people seek to be famous for the wrong things and for the wrong reasons.
(4) Let us note a Biblical account of such a people and seek to learn some practical lessons from them for today:
I. The Story:
A. In Genesis 11, we are introduced to a people who were united in language and purpose, which can be a good thing (cf. 1 Cor. 1:10), but, here, it is a bad thing.
B. These people had migrated either to or from the east and had located in an area that would become known as Babylonia.
C. Upon settling in Babylonia, they decided to build a city and a great tower in order to ‘make a name’ for themselves (cf. Neh. 9:10 demonstrates that this phrase coveys the idea of to ‘become famous’).
D. God observes this and decides to put a stop to it, not because He feared man as a rival, but because “he is concerned for their welfare and is determined not to allow them to follow their extravagant ambitions so far that they will destroy themselves” (LWC).
E. Thus, God ‘confuses’ their language so that they will be forced to scatter abroad and cease building the city and the tower.
II. The Application:
A. Beware of the sin of PRIDE!
1. Pride, in the Greek, is defined as “a state of undue sense of one’s importance bordering on insolence” (BDAG).
2. “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall” (Prov. 16:18).
3. “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall” (1 Cor. 10:12).
B. Be sure to include God in your plans!
1. “Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established” (Prov. 16:3).
2. “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will be established” (Prov. 19:21).
3. “Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain” (Psa. 127:1).
4. Cf. James 4:13-17 – Sin to leave God out of your plans
(1) Do you desire your 15 minutes of fame or an eternity in luxury?
(2) Submit to God’s will and become great on His terms.