Copy (2) of THEWORD OF GOD IS SURE
THEWORD OF GOD IS SURE
PSALM 119:89 19:7
While in India this year we ran into the problem that our young pastors were being attacked in the villages and that the churches had come together and ready to take action, they were forgetting that violence only beget violence, but we have a sure Word from God that can turn the tide of violence into victory. And because the Word of God is Sure we can count on victory every time. And that’s what I want to share with you today that “The Word of God is Sure”.
The word “Sure” mean it’s a convincing word, it’s a reliable word, it’s an unfailing word, it’s a word of certainty and confident and truthfulness. In other words whatever God said can be counted on to come to pass. The Psalmist learned this as he took the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet to describe this “Sure” Word of God. He used ten difference words to describe this: “God’s law” His testimonies(instruction), precepts, statures, commandments, ordinances(decrees), word, ways(path), promises and judgment(ruling)”. (1-16 verses).”
We possess far more of God’s Word than the Psalmist did, but His love and regard for it often put us to shame. He didn’t just write or talk about it, but He believes it and practiced it. And if we want to get the result he did we two will have to believe it and practice it.
In Ps. 119:105 “thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and light unto my path
I The Word is a lamp unto our feet:
A. When we think of a lamp in our western customs we think of something large that gives us a lot of light, but in the east when they think of a lamp they think of a small bowl like object which contain oil and a wick and the oil is drawn up though the wick and give light.
1. “A lamp to psalmist’s feet” this is a graphic image of guidance as the flickering light revealed only enough of the path for one to safely take the next step.
2. We have been in places where it’s so dark that you could not see your own hand and a small light like this would only give enough light to see just a few feet in front of you.
3. What the psalmist was implying is if we take the word of God a step at a time and believe it we will get results, because God’s Word have already been settled in Heaven. (Ps. 119:89). Ps. 12:6 says : The words of the Lord are pure words; as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
4. Ps. 33:4 “For the Word of the Lord is right and all His works are done in truth. In IPet. 2:2 we are told to …”desire the sincere milk of the word that we may grow thereby.” Also in Matt. 5:6 we are told it’s a blessing to hunger and thirst for God’s Word for those who do they shall be filled. You see the reason people get defeated is because they don’t know how to stand. Eph. 6:13-15 says, “Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day. And having done all to stand.
Stand therefore having your loins girt about with truth… and your feet filled with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. This is all referring to the sure Word of God, that which you can count on.
B. The word “Lamp” is used symbolical of the Word of God.
1. Pro. 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp, and the law is light, and reproofs of instruction are the way of life. There are twenty two references in Ps. 119 to keep God’s word. ( Ps. 2, 4, 5, 8, 17, 33, 34, 44, 57, 60, 63, 69, 88, 100, 101, 106, 115,129, 134, 136, 145, 146).
2. In ver. 2 “Blessed are they that keep His testimonies and seek Him with the whole heart.” In Ver. “I will keep thy statutes…” Ver. 17 deals bountifully with thy servant that I may live and keep thy Word; then Ver. 33-34 teaches me Oh Lord, to follow your decrees, them I will keep unto the end.” Give me understanding and I will keep your law and obey it with all my heart.
All these verses are the flicking light coming from the Lamp of His Word to guide our footsteps.
II. The word is a lamp and a light unto our path.
A. This word light is associated with many things: brightness, lighting, daylight, sunlight, illumination, enlighten, happiness, cheerfulness etc. As a prominent metaphorical it means instruction.
1. Generally speaking darkness is associated with death, failure, suffering, folly and sin. Light on the other hand is associated with life, salvation, prosperity, wisdom, justice and health.
2. Ps. 119:130 says, “The entrance, or unfolding of your word give light.” In other words the opening, or revelation of your word are the interpretation of your word entering of one’s heart give light.
3. It gives understanding and the primary meaning for understanding is insight. Discernment is a closely related ideal. This word does not refer to the mere accumulation of data, but superior knowledge one must know how to use information wisely.
4. Here in Ver. 98:100 “Thou through thy commandment hast made me wiser than mine enemies: “for they are ever with me.
I have more understand than all my teachers: “For thy testimonies are my meditation.”
I understand more than the ancients because I keep thy precepts.
David says: Thou commandment here is that superior knowledge. To get understanding you must know how to process it. Then he says what makes me wiser than my teachers is that I meditate on these instructions in order told them. God told Joshua the same thing to mediate upon this word in order to do it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. This word is a sure word from God, instead of waiting on some one to call you out and give you a word; meditate upon God’s Word and watch the blessing that follows.
III. Not only is the Word a Lamp and a Light, but it’s the Testimony of the Lord.
A. In Ver. 111 He said thy testimonies have I taken as a heritage forever for they are the rejoicing of my heart.
1, This word “Testimony” mean instruction, David said: “I have taken your instructions for my inheritance, he understand the surety of God’s Word. This could be counted on when everything else have failed. The Word of God will remain for ever.
2. When you process this information right you will always get positive result.
Joseph had two dreams from God he process the information to wait on the Lord until He would bring them to pass. He went through a lot of changes in his life, but because he process his information right; Ps. 105:19 says, “Until the time that His Word came: the Word of the Lord tried him. But because he stay with the Word it came to pass, because it was a sure Word.
3. We’re here today because of the sure Word of God. What God promise us He is fulfilling and He is not through yet fulfilling His promises. Because the Word o God is sure. Make sure of this Word that you are receiving, than process it by meditating on what God is saying to you and watch the growth and change that comes with it. I could call out many who’s processing this Word right now you can see the change in their life for good.
C. In Ps. 19:7-10 Listen to what the Word of God can do for you.
A. “The law of the Lord is perfect restoring the soul All those things you let into your life to ruin you God’s Word will clean them out and restore you whole.
B. His testimony makes wise the simple those who need to hear the instructions of God’s process where they are at and grow, that the wisdom of God, wherever His word finds you let it bring you up and out.
C. “The statures are right rejoicing the heart.” When you realize who you are in God it will cause you to laugh you realize that the devil had fooled you, but now you are free to live for God that’s joy.
D. “The commandment is pure in enlightening the eyes”- It informs us to exactly what God wants from our lives to live holy.
E. “The fear of the Lord is clean enduring a godly reverence for the Lord, because I honor Him I will do my best not to offend Him. I will live to please Him. Since He died to save me and His ordinances are sure I can count on them not to fail.
All of this is to be desire more than gold. Gold can fail, but the Word of God lives and abide for ever because it is a sure Word.