Refreshing Springs Church
2 Timothy 2:15 Class
March 24, 2007
Three Vital Points
The Bible is actually and truly God’s Word
Divine revelation is closed
Anything written after divine revelation has been closed is not Holy Scripture
The Bible is God, not man speaking 2 Peter 1:20-21
Archeology always agrees with the Word of God
ü Biblical faith is a committing faith in a God who is worthy of our trust Isaiah 44:24-28
ü Timeline in Isaiah
ü Archeologist evidence of Luke’s writings in Acts
ü Josh McDowell explains the written evidence of the Bible
ü Number of manuscripts that have survived
ü 24,633 manuscripts of the New Testament exist
Divine revelation is closed
ü Anything that conflicts, adds to scripture in any way, reject it.
ü “Hapax” Something done for all time with long lasting results never needing reforming or amending
ü John MacArthur
ü Eight Prophecies of Messiah
1. Micah 5:2
2. Zechariah 9:9 cp April 6, 32 AD
3. Daniel chapter 9 (173,880 Days to Christ was exactly precise)
4. Zechariah 11:12 Thirty pieces of silver Matthew 26:15
5. Zechariah 11:13 Thirty pieces thrown into the house of God Matthew 27:4-5
6. Isaiah 53:7
7. Isaiah 53:9 700 years later
8. Psalm 22 about crucifixion that did not exist until 700 years later
These are just eight of 456 prophecies that were fulfilled. PTL
ü George Mueller’s method of determining the God’s will
1. I seek to get my heart into such a state that it has no will of its own in a given matter. When you’re ready to do the Lord’s will, whatever it may be, nine-tenths of the difficulties are overcome. 2. Having done this, I don’t leave the result to feeling or simply impression. If I do so, I leave myself liable to great delusion. 3. I seek the will of the Spirit of God through, or in connection with, God’s Word. The Spirit and the Word must be combined. If I look to the Spirit alone without the Word, I lay myself open to great delusions also. If the Spirit guides us, He’ll do it according to the Scriptures, not contrary to them. 4. Next, I take into account providential circumstances. These often plainly indicate God’s will in connection with His Word and Spirit. 5. I ask God in prayer to reveal His will to me. 6. Thus, through prayer, the study of the Word, and reflection, I come to a deliberate judgment, according to the best of my ability and knowledge. If my mind is thus at peace, and continues after two or three more petitions, I proceed accordingly. I have found this method always effective in trivial or important issues.
What about the Apocrypha?
ü Apocrypha is something hidden or covered
ü Books found in the apocrypha
ü “Canonized” Authoritatively proven by teams of theologians
ü Fifteen reasons the apocrypha does not qualify as Holy Scripture
1. Never appear in Hebrew Canon
2. Neither Christ nor any other Bible writer quotes then even though they were in existence.
3. Josephus the Jewish historian rejected them
4. Philo the Jewish philosopher wrote multitudes of information freely quoting the Old Testament but never quoted or mentioned the apocrypha.
5. Apocrypha is not listed in any categories of the Old Testament within the first four centuries AD.
6. Jerome(347-419) rejected them (a church father)
7. None of its authors claimed they were inspired.
8. They contain errors in history and geography. They contradict themselves, the Bible, and history. Scripture is infallible.
9. Promotes beliefs that contradict the Bible, lying, suicide, assassination, salvation by works, magic, and prayer by and for the dead are all justified.
10. Style and flow different from the Canon or Authoritative books.
11. The books contain many absurdities.
12. When reading the Bible and then the apocrypha, there is a noticeable difference that the two do not belong together.
13. Written much later than the Old Testament, some probably during the time of Christ.
14. Were not canon until 1546 (Council of Trent) when the Catholics accepted them and condemned those who disagreed.
15. The term “Scriptures were used by the Christ and apostles in reference to a completed set of books. Not including the apocrypha.