Sermon - Father's Day
Father’s Day, June 18, 2006
Elizabeth River Baptist Church
James 5:1-11 “To Elders & Young Men”
[Elephants in Pilanesburg]
Glory v.1 “Will share in the glory to be revealed”
v.4 “you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away”
[Not like Trophies that get old & dusty]
v. “& the God of grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ”
Elders v.2 “Be Shepherds” = Caregivers
“Because you are willing” “but eager to serve”
v.3 Not lording it over, but being examples
Young v.5 “Be submissive”
All v.5 “clothe yourselves with humility toward one another” [mutual]
“God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble”
“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you”
v. 8 “Be self-controlled and alert.”
v.10 “And the God of all grace, will himself restore you and make you strong”.
[Why Men Hate going to Church, David Murrow.]
Gaps: Presence, Participation, Personality
Mother to faith – family follows 17%
Father to faith – family follows 93%
[Jailer in Acts 16]
God calls every man to be a spiritual Father
George Barna research - Women are:
- 100% more likely to be involved in discipleship.
- 57% more likely to participate in adult Sunday school.
- 56% more likely to hold a leadership position at a church (not including the role of pastor).
- 54% more likely to participate in a small group.
- 46% more likely to disciple others.
- 39% more likely to have a devotional time or quiet time.
- 33% more likely to volunteer for a church.
- 29% more likely to read the Bible.
- 29% more likely to attend church.
- 29% more likely to share faith with others.
- 23% more likely to donate to a church.
- 16% more likely to pray.
“K-Love disc jockeys have created a mythical average listener, whom they call Kathy. She is a mother in her mid-thirties with 2 kids, a minivan, & a mortgage. Kathy is very busy, driving her kids to soccer practice, piano lessons, & youth group. As she drives, she listens to K-Love. Kathy’s name come sup frequently during staff meetings, & the DJs make sure their on-air antics won’t upset or offend her sensibilities.”
Adjust the thermostat.
Set on Challenge
Proverbs 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.”
Heb. 10:24 “Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.”
Exodus 20:12 “Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.”
Eph. 6:4 “Fathers, do not exasperate your children, instead, bring them up in the training & instruction of the Lord.”