GOOD FRIDAY SERVICE (reflections on the cross)
GOOD FRIDAY SERVICE
Reflections on the Cross
1. The cross was not an accident; it was necessary. Mk 10:32-34
Cannot reduce Jesus to teacher and example…
- We’re slaves who need to be redeemed.
- We’re enemies who need reconciliation.
- We’re corpses that need to be resurrected.
- We’re criminals who need to be justified.
2. The cross makes the Christian faith utterly unique.
Cary taking a religion class at school…
Hinduism - Karma
Buddhism - Eightfold Path
Islam - submitting to Allah
Judaism - obey the laws; follow the ritual
Christian - what Christ did for us
Self-effort, self-focus, works vs. grace
God, in Jesus, says, “I love you this much. Will you love me back?”