Crossing Jordan 3 pulpit
The only way we can start over as a church is to start over as individual members. Starting over involves making good choices about what to leave behind and what to take with us It is deep heartfelt conviction that drives these choices..
Convictions about what? (Core items)
What kind of convictions do I need to support a new beginning for Northview?
I. I need to reaffirm my conviction about the reality of God.
A. Phil. 2:13, It is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose. God is alive, He knows me, and He has been working in my life, and continues to do so.
II. I need to reaffirm my conviction concerning His Word.
A. Not what we’ve always believed or what momma or daddy always believed, or what the preachers have always said. Not what the world of today says we should believe the Bible says, but rather what God says period.
B. Greatfully we’ve grown past some things that preacher’s at one time were afraid to talk about:
1. Grace for example: The Bible says we are saved by grace through faith.
2. The Holy Spirit for example: The Bible says numerous times that the Holy Spirit lives in us.
C. But these are doctrinal things, what about opinions of the past.
1. Leave them behind, or the requirement for everyone else to abide by them behind.
2. For example: It used to be considered a sin for women to wear britches. There are some things that change! There are matters of opinion! Romans 144 Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
3. There are absolutes.
III. I need to reaffirm my conviction about our purpose.
A. Take with us the proper conviction about our purpose: We exists to glorify God through helping people know Jesus, grow to be like Him, and show Him to the world.
1. This is not just a clever sentence to throw around, but rather it is absolute Bible. It is the Word of God to His church.
B. The Church belongs to Him. Our identity is in Christ, everything about the Church is centered in Christ. He is our life!
1. To Know Christ is the essence of Christianity from the point of salvation to the maturing in our faith. John 14:6, Acts 4:12, (Paul – I want to know Christ Phil. 3:10)
2. To Grow to be like Christ is the God given task for every person. Romans 8:29
3. To Show Him to the world is the marching orders of all disciples: Matthew 28
C. Our purpose is not to hold services, be comfortable, have our own needs met, build buildings, etc. Our purpose is to glorify God through….Our purpose is not for us to know everybody in the church, or re-establish ministries of the past.
IV. I need to reaffirm my conviction about my purpose.
A. Take with us the proper conviction about my part in this body:
1. If the body exists to glorify God through helping people know Jesus, grow to be like Him, and show Him to the world, then I, as a part of this body exists to glorify God through helping people know Jesus, grow to be like Him, and show Him to the world.
B. God has brought you here at this time for a reason.
1. Everything in your past has prepared you for the present:
2. 1 Peter 410 Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.
3. Matthew 25 - Parable of the talents.
4. Phil 2:13 (God knows what is needed for this body to function and minister Ephesians 4, and you are a significant part of that)