The Fall of Babylon the Great
Intro: Let's open our Bibles this morning to Revelation chapters 17-18. We are going to be covering the subject of the fall of the world's false religion, the true origins of this religion and God's ultimate judgement of this system. We are also going to take a look at Babylon the great as being possibly a literal city as well, and how this city will bode in the end.
1. Revelation 17:1-6 The Scarlet Woman and The Scarlet Beast
1. Subject: The angel shows John who is being judged and why.
2. Objective: To show the relationship between the woman, the beast, and the people of the world.
3. Illustration: in the book of Revelation we have this relationship between the harlot and the beast and can be contrasted with what will be seen later with the bride and the Lamb.
2. Revelation 17:7-17 The Meaning of The Woman and The Beast
1. Subject: The mystery explained
2. Objective: Explained so that John wouldn't marvel.
3. Illustration: This is not the only time that things were explained so that there would be no confusion. When Jesus told a parable He would tell the meaning of it.
4. Revelation 17:1 Who is the harlot? The Mystery, Babylon The Great. Rev. 17:5. The harlot is representing a false religion in the beginning of the chapter and in the end seems to be an actual city.
5. Revelation 17:2? What does it mean that the kings committed fornication with her and the dwellers of the earth are drunk with the wine of her fornication? It is talking about those who follow after the wicked ways of the worldly and wicked ideologies of the woman.
6. Who was this woman and who is this beast? The woman is Babylon the Great and the Beast is the Anti-Christ indwelled by Satan. Look at the similarities in Rev 12:3.
1. Ancient Babylon is a type or prefigurement of this future Babylon. The harlot will do what literal Babylon did in the past: (1) oppress God’s people, and (2) propagate a false religious system. Much of the world’s idolatry can be traced back to historical Babylon (cf. Gen. 11:1–9), including the mother-child cult of Semiramis-Tammuz (cf. Jer. 44:16–19; Ezek. 8:9, 14), which entered other cultures as Ashtaroth-Baal, Aphrodite-Eros, Venus-Cupid, and even Madonna-Child.King James Version study Bible . (1997). (electronic ed., Re 17:4). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
7. Revelation 17:12 What does it mean that these kings will have authority for one hour with the beast? The kings have not yet risen to power and given their kingdoms. When they do they will reign with the beast for a brief moment just to achieve his purposes.
8. Revelation 17:13 give their power and authority to the beast? They will give their power and authority over to the beast because they will be unified in their purpose to try to destroy the Lamb of God.
3. Revelation 18:1-8 The Fall Of Babylon The Great
1. Subject: Two angels pronounce the indictment, warning, and judgement.
2. Objective: To tell of the nature of the sin.
3. Illustration: Prophets in the Old Testament, like Isaiah and Jeremiah were sent to the people and they would start their message out with what they had done and what the consequences would be. This happened to me when I went to court for a traffic violation. I was read what I was being accused of and then I was given a judgement.
4. Revelation 18:4 This is yet another opportunity to repent.
4. Revelation 18:9-20 The World Mourns The Fall
1. Subject: The world's response to Babylon's fall
2. Objective: to tell how the people of the world reacts.
3. Illustration: It is interesting to me that in the Gospel of Matthew Jesus says that where our treasure is our heart is also. The people treasured the things of the world and the system of Babylon and they are heartbroken over losing her.
4. Matthew 6:19-21
1. 19 t“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 20 ubut lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. The New King James Version. (1982). (Mt 6:19–21). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
5. Revelation 18:10-11 This is what some people referred to during 9/11. Many have also noted that the same materials spoken of here were traded at the world trade center. Keep in mind though that this takes place in the great city, which seems to refer to Jerusalem.
6. Revelation 18:13 Bodies and souls of men? This is referring to bartering human lives or slavery.
7. Revelation 18:14 What is the fruit that they longed for?
5. Revelation 18:21-24 The Finality of Babylon's Fall
1. Subject: Babylon's judgement is complete.
2. Objective: God will judge the sin of Babylon. It will beome utterly desolate with no music or happiness, no tradework, no new families and no economy.
3. Illustration: this reminds me of 9/11.
Conclusion: This morning we got a chance to take a look at the origins of the false religion and how easily people can be deceived. As we think about this Babylon the Great we need to remember that "Mystery Babylon" isn't just present in the Great Tribulation. Revelation just describes the fall of it, but it has influenced the whole world and even many church traditions through out the centuries. How do we keep ourselves from being deceived? Well, we stay in the word of God! When we are continually reading the Word of God and communicating with Him through prayer, His Holy Spirit gives us the discernment. So the answer, is to stay close to the truth to learn how to detect the lie. Read your Bibles and pray everyday.