What Hell Can Teach The Church
SOMETHING IN HELL NEEDED IN THE CHURCH
A. There are many lessons and sermons to be preached from this passage:
1. What a lost soul discovered in hell!
2. Future life of the wicked--where are the dead? In a conscious state.
B. Today - I'm making some application of this passage to the church.
1. Sometimes we point out things in the church which will eventually cause
people to be in hell.
2. Point out somethings in hell--that need to be in the church.
I. FIRE SYMBOL FOR ENTHUSIASM (Verse 24)
A. Examples of enthusiasm for the Temple.
1. Jehu destroyed Ahab - II Kgs. 10:16,17.
2. David - Psa. 69:9; 119:139.
3. Jesus cleansed the temple - Jn. 2:17.
B. Paul was an example of zeal.
1. Before his conversion - Acts 22:3; Phil. 3:6; Gal. 2:10.
2. After - He persisted just as strongly.
C. Christians are to be on fire for God.
1. It would be contageous on the other congregations. II Cor. 9:2.
2. It is our command. Rom. 12:11; Rev. 3:19; Tit. 2:14.
II. MEMORY & PRAYER (Verse 25)
A. People will associate this life with eternal.
1. Redeemed will remember sins forgiven. Rev. 5:9.
2. Lost will face their sins for all eternity. Rev. 21:8; 22:15 "are".
B. Some things in the Church are to be forgotten.
1. Forgiven sins, past success - Phil. 3:13,14.
2. Unforgiven sins need to be remembered - Acts 8:22; I Jn. 1:7-9.
C. Praying members make for a praying church. I Thess. 5:17; Acts 12:5;
I Tim. 2:1, 8.
1. Would you come just for a service of prayer?
2. Some things good for memory. II Pet. 1:12,13.
III. PERSONAL CONCERN FOR THE LOST (Verse 27)
A. This was once a neglected subject.
1. Materialism makes people forgetful of eternity.
2. Mt. 6:33; Mt. 28:19; Acts 2:44-47.
B. Soul winning a mark of a wise man. Prov. 11:30; 18:21.
1. One half of people who have lived since Adam are living NOW!
2. Are we growing or swelling?
3. A business man who only has time to count what he has already made is in
bad shape - church.
C. We MUST speak out for Christ and His Church.
1. In face of every doctrine. Acts 14:8-15; II Tim. 4:2.
2. All the time--everywhere. Acts 18:9; Acts 20:26,27; Mk. 5:19.
IV. SEPARATION OF RIGHTEOUS FROM WICKED (Verse 26)
A. Comment upon emphasis in this passage - 22,24,25,26.
B. Church Discipline is a NT command - Rom. 16:17; II Thess. 3:6.
1. Procedure is given. Mt. 18:15-18 - personal offence.
2. Procedure is given. Tit. 3:10 - public offence.
C. Gospel obedience is a separation. Rom. 6:16-18; Col. 1:13; Acts 2:47; I Cor.
6:11; II Cor. 6:17; Gal. 5:16; Eph. 5:7; Phil. 3:7.
V. A DESIRE TO ESCAPE HELL (Verse 26)
A. A Christian still has the same choice to make between heaven and hell. Ez. 3.
1. Example of Israelites warning against apostasy. I Cor. 10:1-12.
2. After baptism--new life. Rom. 6:3,4; II Cor. 5:17.
B. We can be appalled by the thoughts of hell - II Thess. 1:7-9; Mt. 25:46; Mk. 9:44,
46,48; Rev. 14:11.
C. We can be drawn by the thoughts of Heaven - Jn. 14:1-3; Rev. 21:1,2; 22:14.
A. Why did Jesus tell this story?
1. Pharisees unwilling to hear, believe, and obey God's Word.
a. Opportunity provided.
b. No need for special sign.
2. May we take to hear that lesson in the church!
3. Only reason why people will go to hell is their failure to repent! Lk. 13:3;
B. Do you need to make a change in your life?
1. As an unfaithful Christian.
2. As one who needs to obey the first principles.
3. DO IT NOW!