DISCOVER THE VENGEANCE OF JESUS
March 20, 2012
BY: John Barnett
Read, print, or listen to this resource on our website www.DiscoverTheBook.org
The wonder of Jesus is how long He waits to avenge evil upon the earth. For all of human history since Eden Satan has seemingly triumphed. For thousands of years sin and death have run riotously around the globe, and He waits. Every village has felt some injustice. Every hamlet has seen evil raging. Every son and daughter born has sin’s dark, black drop staining their heart. Every life experiences the tears and sorrows of Satan’s lie. Every home ultimately breaks up by deaths visit. No family escapes seeing the circle of their home dissolve into the dark depths of the grave. Every life eventually will end in death.
He waits, as every page of history are deeply stained. Unavenged evils, from the time of the first murder until this present hour are still pending. Human history has been written in blood, tears and death. Why does Jesus wait? Why is Satan allowed to wrap his vicious, slimy, filthy, cruel tentacles around human life and around this earth? The weak are slain, the helpless are crushed, and people in this earth by uncounted millions and millions are oppressed, living in despair, and it seems that Jesus just waits.
He waits, but somewhere beyond the starry sky there stands a herald angel with a trumpet in his hand, and by the decree of the Lord God Almighty, there is a day, there is an hour, there is a moment, there is an elected time when the angel shall sound and the kingdoms of this world shall become the kingdoms of our God and of His Christ. And in that moment Jesus returns. In the Glorious Majesty of His Victory on the cross Jesus returns.
• Jesus left after saying He was coming back as was noted 1,257 x in the Old Testament and 319 x in the New Testament, now he returns!
• Jesus left from the Mt. Of Olives on foot empty handed, He returns to that very spot descending from the skies mounted on a white horse, followed by countless armies clothed in white.
• Jesus left in secret, now He returns in blazing glory.
• Jesus left with blood stained garments, He returns in shimmering robes of white.
• Jesus left still bearing the cuts of a crown of thorns, He returns with the sparkling dazzles of the diadem crown of the King of the Universe.
• Jesus left behind His beloved saints going ahead of them alone to Heaven, He returns with the skies filled with His saints all in triumphant procession accompanying their Master, Lord and King.
• Jesus left silently worshiped by His disciples, now he returns surrounded by the trumpet blasts of the armies of Heaven, encircled by the shouts of praise of all the redeemed and every eye on planet earth now sees Him.
LET'S WATCH JESUS RETURN IN ALL HIS GLORY TO HIS WORLD.
The climax of all human history is now unfolded in our text. The purposes of God long hidden in His eternal counsels are now made clear. Jesus steps back into history, no longer the suffering servant, He is Lord of All. This passage makes two truths remarkably vivid. They are:
1. The Absolute Security of Trusting the Timing of Jesus. Revelation 19:11-16
2. The Absolute Futility of Resisting the Offers of Jesus. Revelation 19:17-21
Look closely as God pulls back the veil and reveals the awesome majesty of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords in all His glory. First, as we look at the His wondrous character of Jesus, let your heart rest in the security that comes of trusting in Him. Then, as we see the folly of the world as they finally begin to get what they deserve.
The Absolute Security of Trusting the Timing of Jesus. Revelation 19:11-16
FIRST, JESUS OFFERS US THE ASSURANCE HE IS FAITHFUL AND TRUE.
I saw heaven standing open
and there before me was a white horse,
whose rider is called Faithful and True.
With justice he judges and makes war. (NIV)
• You can trust Jesus. Not one promise He made will ever fail. Not one word He spoke will ever be false. Christ now returns with His saints. He came for them in Revelation 4:1. During all of human history He has been watching and waiting. Nothing has missed His eyes. Now He will begin to bring truth to bear upon all lies and falsehoods and deception:
JESUS WILL EXECUTE VENGEANCE, He asks us to wait on Him.
• Jude 15 to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him." (NIV)
• 2 Peter 2:9 if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment. (NIV)
JESUS WILL REPAY EVERY EVIL, He asks us to trust Him.
• Hebrews 10:30 For we know him who said, "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," and again, "The Lord will judge his people." (NIV)
JESUS WILL VINDICATE ALL WHO HAVE BEEN OPPRESSED, He asks us to hope in Him.
• Psalm 103:6 The LORD works righteousness and justice for all the oppressed. (NIV)
• Psalm 9:9 The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, A refuge in times of trouble. (NKJV)
JESUS WILL REWARD THE RIGHTEOUS, he asks us to work For Him.
• Psalm 58:11 So that men will say, "Surely there is a reward for the righteous; Surely He is God who judges in the earth." (NKJV)
• Matthew 5:12 "Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (NKJV)
Are you assured that Jesus is really the truth? Are you daily pouring out all your sadnesses, anxieties and woes on Him? Only Jesus can give us the rest and peace that all will be well in Him. Remember His offer in Matthew 11:28-30 “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
SECONDLY, JESUS OFFERS US THE ENJOYMENT OF INTIMACY WITH HIM
His eyes are like blazing fire,
and on his head are many crowns.
He has a name written on him that
no one knows but he himself. (NIV)
Salvation is the greatest offer of all. A personal, always present relationship with the Majesty on High. Think of it, the One who is the very center of all that every will be. He reminds us to remember what salvation is:
• John 10:27 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. (NKJV)
• John 17:3 "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus whom You have sent. (NKJV)
Are you enjoying an intimate relationship with Jesus this morning? Do you know Him personally? Do you enjoy talking with Him? How about reading His letters to you, are they at the top of your pile? What do you know of Jesus that only comes by long hours shared?
THIRDLY, JESUS OFFERS US TO REST IN HIS REDEMPTION
He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood,
and his name is the Word of God. (NIV)
The blood of Christ is the scarlet thread that ties all of the Word into one. It is in His shed blood that we hope.
• Ephesians 1:7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace (NKJV)
• 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. (NKJV)
• Revelation 1:5 and from Jesus, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, (NKJV)
Are you resting in Christ's perfect redemption. What are you holding onto to get you to God? Is it simply the sacrifice of Jesus for you? Is it only that He died in your place, shedding His blood? Is it all that He did and only that you trust His redeeming blood?
FOURTHLY, JESUS ASKS US TO TRUST IN HIS FAITHFULNESS
The armies of heaven were following him,
riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen,
white and clean. (NIV)
Not one of the members of His armies are lost, missing, awol. He has and always will faithfully cared for them through sickness, health, adversity, prosperity, loneliness and joy. He is Faithful. The very character of God is that of Faithfulness.
• 1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus our Lord. (NKJV)
• 1 Thessalonians 5:24 He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it. (NKJV)
• 2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one. (NKJV)
• 1 Peter 4:19 Therefore let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator. (NKJV)
Are you resting in His faithful provision for your needs right now? Are you confident in any adversity that God is above all and working through it His glory? How about your health, is it in His Faithful hands? Your children, marital hopes, child bearing desires, college dreams -- are they all given to the Faithful One?
FIFTHLY, JESUS REMINDS US TO WAIT FOR HIS JUDGEMENT
Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword
with which to strike down the nations.
"He will rule them with an iron scepter."
He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath
of God Almighty. (NIV)
Atlast it comes, the judgment falls. Jesus sends is a “compression into a sudden flash the inevitable results of wrong doing.” As the Red Sea for Pharaoh was the demonstration of the danger to any human power that defies the Supreme power of God. So the judgment on Sodom was about those who trifle with sexual promiscuity, the reurn of Jesus is the judgment of God upon sin.
FINALLY, JESUS ASKS US TO SUBMIT TO HIS AUTHORITY
On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. (NIV)
Like Job we must trust Him even when we can’t understand.
Thus says the Lord:
“Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
Let not the mighty man glory in his might,
Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
24 But let him who glories glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth.
For in these I delight,” says the Lord.
The Absolute Futility of Resisting the Power of Jesus.
What does the Lord show us are the elements of this futile resistence against God?
• v. 17 The Inescapable Plan/Program of God. Remember Ahab and the bow shot I Kings 22:34? You can run but you’ll never hide from God !
• v. 18 The Inescapable Humiliation of Pride by God. Remember Satan’s “I wills” in Isaiah 14? You can try but never succeed in exalting self!
• v. 19 The Inescapable Power of God
• v. 20 The Inescapable Judgement of God
• v. 21 The Inescapable Execution by God
Why does the Lord give such a horribly graphic view of these His enemies? To remind us of the Absolute Futility of Resisting the Power of Jesus. What should be our response? Look back at verse 10. There are two gems:
1. Worship God.
2. See Jesus.
How are we to do this? Simply as His Word has instructed us:
1. GIVE JESUS YOUR CONSECRATION: Focus on the reverent presentation of all we have to God as Rom 12.1-2 says is our spiritual worship.
• Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
2. GIVE JESUS YOUR DEVOTION: Let Jesus show Himself to you in every page of His book as He did to the two on the road to Emmaus in Lk. 24:27-31 and I Peter 1.10-11.
• YIELDEDNESS: Luke 24:27-31 And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself. 28 Then they drew near to the village where they were going, and He indicated that He would have gone farther.29 But they constrained Him, saying, “Abide with us, for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent.” And He went in to stay with them.30 Now it came to pass, as He sat at the table with them, that He took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them.31 Then their eyes were opened and they knew Him; and He vanished from their sight.
• EARNESTNESS: 1 Peter 1:10-11 Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you,11 searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow.
• PRAYERFULNESS: Psalm 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may see Wondrous things from Your law.