ADMIRING THE PERFECT SACRIFICE OF JESUS
March 20, 2012
By: John Barnett
Read, print, or listen to this resource on our website
Are you admiring the perfect sacrifice of Jesus tonight?
Has the depth of His love and sacrifice filled your soul so full it is overflowing?
There is a place of eternal calm, unleashing tranquility, perfect peace, endless day... That place is the center of the universe, the throne of God... To that location John transports us from Patmos’ salt mines to heavens highest point...
In 1989 a hurricane swept through New England, for hour after hour the winds increased until trees were snapping. Then it happened, the calm at the eye of the storm. A perfect pool of quiet between the storms.
• Rev. 4-5 are a calm between two storms, the perfect peace which always exists in God’s presence
• Rev. 1-3 show the struggling saints
• Rev. 6-20 shows the end of earth
To admire the sacrifice of Jesus we need t remember what He did for us. PP Bliss well reminds us in his hymn, “Hallelujah What a Savior”.
• ‘Man of sorrows!’ what a name
For the Son of God who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim!
Hallelujah, what a Savior!
• Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood,
Seal’d my pardon with His blood;
Hallelujah, what a Savior!
• Guilty vile, and helpless we,
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
Full atonement! can it be?
Hallelujah, what a Savior!
• Lifted up was He to die,
‘It is finished,’ was His cry;
Now in heav’n exalted high,
Hallelujah, What a Savior!
• When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew this song we’ll sing,
Hallelujah, what a Savior!
As we look into the book of Revelation remember we see that it is the Revelation of Jesus Christ. All the Bible is now combined into one majestic picture of the Lamb of God. He who the prophets foretold, the priest portrayed, and John the Baptist pointed to who stood unknown in the midst of men - is now shown to be the center of the plan of God for this last segment of time before time shall be no more.
We are at the Throne of Judgment for the Universe. On the Throne is the JUDGE of all.
How can I experience His inexhaustible peace, His eternal calm in the presence of the Ancient of Days, seated on the Judgment Throne of the Universe? What will happen to me because of all my failures and sins?
Finding peace at the judgment of God by recognizing my unworthiness and guilt before His holy Throne, and recognizing by bowing and worshiping, the utter worthiness of the lamb as my substitute.
Chapter 5 is in two parts:
1. v. 1-5 the unworthiness of mankind
2. v. 6-14 the worthiness of lamb
OUR DESPERATION: THE UTTER UNWORTHINESS OF MANKIND
v. 1 And I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a scroll written inside and on the back, sealed with seven seals. THE BOOK - what is it? Official document that declares the climax of human history.
• Isaiah 42:9 Behold, the former things have come to pass, and new things I declare; before they spring forth I tell you of them.”
• Ezekiel 2:9-10 Now when I looked, there was a hand stretched out to me; and behold, a scroll of a book was in it.10 Then He spread it before me; and there was writing on the inside and on the outside, and written on it were lamentations and mourning and woe.
• Dan. 12:8-9 although I heard, I did not understand. Then I said, “My lord, what shall be the end of these things?”9 And he said, “Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end.
• This scroll before God's Throne represents Christ’s “title deed” to all that the Father promised Him. Jesus because of His sacrifice on the cross. “Ask of Me, and I shall give Thee the heathen [nations] for Thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for Thy possession” (Ps. 2:8).
• It is the deed for the Heir, the One who has the right to take the earth. In New Testament times Roman law required that a will had to be sealed seven times, to protect it from tampering. As you rolled it up, you sealed it every turn or so for seven times. The seals were not to be broken until after the person whose will it was had died.
ONLY JESUS IS HEIR TO THE TITLE DEED OF THE UNIVERSE!
v. 2 Then I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, “Who is worthy to open the scroll and to loose its seals?”
JESUS ALONE IS WORTHY TO BE OUR REDEEMER.
v. 3 And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll, or to look at it.
• Rom. 3:10 none righteous
• All of Adam’s race is fallen. No one is worthy among all the Pharoahs, Caesars, Khans, generals, dictators and emperors. They and all their subjects have failed to measure up to God's standard... All die and turn to dust...
ALL OF HUMANITY FALLS SHORT OF GOD'S GLORY
v. 4 So I wept much, because no one was found worthy to open and read the scroll, or to look at it.
OUR REDEMPTION HANGS TOTALLY UPON JESUS,
WE HAVE NO OTHER HOPE!
HIS PERFECTION: ADMIRING THE PERFECT SACRIFICE OF JESUS
1. THE IDENTIFICATION OF JESUS IS PERFECT: HE TRIUMPHED OVER SIN, DEATH AND THE DEVIL!
v. 5 But one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals.”
• Lion - Genesis 49:9-10 Judah is a lion’s whelp; From the prey, my son, you have gone up. He bows down, he lies down as a lion; And as a lion, who shall rouse him? 10 The scepter shall not depart from Judah, Nor a lawgiver from between his feet, Until Shiloh comes; And to Him shall be the obedience of the people.
• Root of David - Isaiah 11:1-10, Isaiah 61:1
• Overcome - it is finished! Cross, Jn. 19:30
Jesus Christ is the “Heir of all things” (Heb. 1:2). He is our beloved “Kinsman-Redeemer” who was willing to give His life to set us free from bondage and to restore our lost inheritance
• Leviticus 25:23-46 25 ‘If one of your brethren becomes poor, and has sold some of his possession, and if his redeeming relative comes to redeem it, then he may redeem what his brother sold.
In Ruth 1:1-4:22 we find the Kinsman Redeemer had to be: Related closely to the one in need, willing to take the responsibility to redeem and able to pay the price of redemption. Only Jesus meets all the qualifications:
• Jesus became one of us taking human flesh, so He is our CLOSE KINSMAN REDEEMER.
• Jesus loves us and is willing to lay down His life for us, so He is our WILLING REDEEMER.
• Jesus paid the price of our sin with His own body and blood, so He is our ABUNDANTLY ABLE REDEEMER.
2. THE LOCATION OF JESUS IS PERFECT: HE IS PERFECTLY POSITIONED
6 And I looked, and behold, in the midst of the throne and of the four living creatures, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as though it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent out into all the earth.
• Jesus is in Heaven as our Mediator.
• Jesus is in the midst of the Throne room of God.
• Jesus stands bfore the Throne omnipotent ‘all authority’.
• John continues his description of the scene around the throne: “the seven Spirits of God” (v. 6). That does not teach that there are seven Holy Spirits. Rather there is one sevenfold Spirit, described in Isaiah 11:2 as (1) the Spirit of the Lord, (2) the spirit of wisdom, (3) the spirit of understanding, (4) the spirit of counsel, (5) the spirit of strength, (6) the spirit of knowledge, and (7) the spirit of the fear of the Lord.
• The description of the Lamb (Rev. 5:6), if produced literally by an artist, would provide a grotesque picture; but when understood symbolically, conveys spiritual truth. Since seven is the number of perfection,
• Jesus is omnipotent. That means He has perfect power (seven horns),
• Jesus is omniscient. That means He has perfect wisdom (seven eyes),
• Jesus is omnipresent. That means He is perfectly present (seven Spirits in all the earth).
• All three are attributes of God. So, the Lamb is identified as God the Son, Christ Jesus!
JESUS IS THE THE WOUNDED LAMB (v. 6-8). He was promised as the perfect lamb.
• In revelation Jesus is called a lamb (little pet lamb, not big sheep) no less than 28 times!
• In Genesis 22;8, 13 a ram was substituted for Isaac, a picture of Christ giving His life for the individual (see Gal. 2:20).
• At Passover, the lamb was slain for each family (Ex. 12:3).
• Isaiah states that Jesus died for the nation of Israel (Isa. 53:8; see also John 11:49–52).
He was pointed out as the perfect Lamb:
• John affirms that the Lamb died for the whole world! (John 1:29)
• Peter said 1 Peter 1:18-19 knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers,19 but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.
• The more you meditate on the power and scope of Christ’s work on the cross, the more humbled and worshipful you become.
3. THE ACTION OF JESUS IS PERFECT: JESUS TAKES THE TITLE DEED AS THE EXALTED LORD OF GLORY
7 Then He came and took the scroll out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne.
4. THE RECEPTION OF JESUS IS PERFECT: JESUS HEARS AND KEEPS ALL OUR PRAYERS.
8 Now when He had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.
PRAYERS ARE VITAL TO GOD
OUR RESPONSE: HOW DO WE ADMIRE THE PERFECT SACRIFICE OF JESUS?
BY ADMIRING JESUS AS THE WORTHY LAMB
1ST - SING ABOUT THE PLAN OF JESUS
9 And they sang a new song, saying:
• “You are worthy to take the scroll, WORSHIP JESUS
• And to open its seals; AUTHORITY OF JESUS
• For You were slain, SUBSTITUTIONARY DEATH OF JESUS
• And have redeemed us to God by Your blood, REDEMPTION OF JESUS
• Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation, GOSPEL OF JESUS
• 10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; MINISTRY FOR JESUS
• And we shall reign on the earth.” HOPE IN JESUS
Want to be sure you are singing that new song God wants to put in your heart? Check the content closely. Beware of the new “crossover” songs in modern music. They only talk about the Lord they never name Him. Beware of songs that don’t name the name that is above every name, the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!
AS THE PERFECT SACRIFICE JESUS RECEIVED (5:11-12)
2ND - SING ABOUT THE PERFECTIONS OF JESUS
v. 11 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands saying with a loud voice:
“Worthy is the Lamb who was slain
To receive power and riches and wisdom,
And strength and honor and glory and blessing!”
Think of Jesus
1. “To receive power” He came the first time as a weak and helpless baby, herod tried to murder Him. Now He is OMNIPOTENT! power—all power in heaven and earth
2. “and riches” He became poor for us, laying aside all the treasures of heaven to alk this earth an an itinerant prophet supported by gifts! Now He holds the ownership of all the Universe! riches—He owns all things
3. “ and wisdom,” He was mocked, scoffed, derided and accused of everything evil His enemies could think of. Now He stands as the Wisdom of God ! wisdom—He is the source of true wisdom
4. “And strength” He was weary, thirsty and tired in His 1st coming. He is the Rock now, and the Fountain of the Water of Life and the source of the power of an indestructible life! strength—He is the Lion of Judah, mighty
5. “ and honor” Not even a place to lay His head back then, but now countless myriads of eternal beings focus their adoration and worship on Him, countless saints raise their voices in song, the Universe glistens and radiates His glory. honor –He shall be honored and every knee shall bow
6. “ and glory”. Briefly He pulled back His flesh on the Transfiguartion mount, but now He shines with the Brightness of the Sun in its strength. All glory and honor are His. Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confss that He is Lord of ALL! glory—He is the Highest of Heaven Adored
7. “ and blessing!” blessing—He is that which produces real joy
3RD - SING ABOUT THE POSSESSIONS OF JESUS
v. 13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying:
“Blessing and honor and glory and power
Be to Him who sits on the throne,
And to the Lamb, forever and ever!”
FINALLY, JUST AGREE AND WORSHIP JESUS
v. 14 Then the four living creatures said,
And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.
What’s the rest of the story?
• wrathful Lamb Revelation 6:16 16 and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!
• worshipped Lamb Revelation 7:17 “for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of waters. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”
• WARRING LAMB Revelation 17:14 “These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful.”
• WEDDING OF THE LAMB = God with us Revelation 19:9 Then he said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!’ ” And he said to me, “These are the true sayings of God.”
John also seems to suggest in Revelation that the “heavenly sanctuary” follows the pattern of the earthly tabernacle and temple (see Heb. 9:23). The parallels are as follows:
Earthly temple Heavenly sanctuary
Holy of holies The throne of God
Seven-branched candlestick Seven lamps of fire before the throne
Bronze laver Sea of glass
Cherubin over the mercy seat Four living creatures around the throne
Priests Elders (kings and priests)
Brazen altar Altar (Rev. 6:9–11)
Incense altar Incense Altar (Rev. 8:3–5)
Ark of the covenant Ark of the covenant (Rev 11:19)
Look with me now as we see the Lamb of God in six stations as He brings to completion God’s plan of the ages.
LET’S MEET THE LAMB IN REVELATION
THE LAMB WALKING IN THE MIDST
A. WITH HIS ROYAL SPLENDOR Revelation 1:13 and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band.
1. a royal garment down to the foot
2. a golden girdle of splendor
B. WITH HIS PURITY AND ANCIENT WISDOM Revelation 1:14 His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire;
1. head and hairs white like wool, as snow-purity
2. eyes as flames of fire=omniscient gaze
C. WITH HIS POWER DISPLAYED, v.15-16.
1. feet as brass=strength with Deity shining out
2. voice as many waters=strength and majesty as waterfalls roar
3. countenance as the sun=Deity shining out
D. WITH HIS PURPOSE DEFINED, v.18.
2. “and was dead”=crucified
3. “alive forevermore”=eternal existence
4. “keys of hell and death”=body and spirits control
THE LAMB WAITING AT THE DOOR
A. The call, v.20.
1. “stand at the door” = therefore He is outside
2. “and knock” = no entrance without assent
3. “hear and open” = response with reception
4. “sup with Him” = communion
THE LAMB WORTHY OF PRAISE
A. The reason, 4:11-5:10.
1. creator “Thou hast created”
2. purpose of all “for Thy pleasure”
3. slain for man’s sin
4. heir to the universe
B. The rights received, 5:11-12; (Strauss, p.150-151)
1. power—all power in heaven and earth
2. riches—He owns all things
3. wisdom—He is the source of true wisdom
4. strength—He is the Lion of Judah, mighty
5. honor –He shall be honored and every knee shall bow
6. glory—He is the Highest of Heaven Adored
7. blessing—He is that which produces real joy
C. The response, 5:13-14.
1. all creatures praise Him—the whole universe
2. the four beasts worship Him
THE LAMB WARRING AGAINST SINFUL MEN
A. TRIBULATION WAR, 19:11-20:6
1. He commands the armies of Heaven.
2. His clothing is that of vestures dipped in blood.
3. He is called the Word of God.
4. He conquers the kings of the earth and chains Satan.
B. The final post-millennial war, 20:7-15.
1. Satan is loosed.
2. The millennial last generation follow his deception.
3. They are destroyed.
4. Judgment and then eternity, v.15.
THE LAMB WELCOMING THE REDEEMED
A. The throne, v.1.
1. the source of the water of life.
2. the seat of the father and Lamb
B. The tree, v.2.
1. by the river
2. bringing healing
C. The triumph, v.3.
1. no more curse
2. unhindered service to Him
D. The testimony, v.4-22.
1. seeing the Lord
2. He is the Light
3. revealed to those who keep His sayings
4. let all who are athirst come
This day, my friend, the Lamb of God walks in the midst of His churches. He waits and watches to see if we are willing to open the door to Him that He may commune with us. He alone is worthy and all must and shall bow before Him in praise to that name above every name. He shall be the Lion, the warrior, and in flaming power rain the vengence of God upon the nations who shun His appeals to turn and trust. And, soon dear friend, He the Lord of Glory, the Little Pet Lamb slain for the sin of the whole world shall welcome each and every redeemed one to dwell in Him forever. Do you know Him today? Oh, let us see the Lamb today.