Three things Jesus has done for us
Message Series: Oh, What A Savior!
Message Title: “Three Things Jesus Has Done For Us”
Text: Hebrews 2:5- 18
I. HE HAS ASSUMED HIS RIGHTFUL POSITION FOR US (VS.5-8).
A. All things have been put in subjection to Christ, not angels.
1. The world to come has been put under subjection to Him.
a) When Jesus returns, He will return in glory (Rev. 19: 11-16)
2. There is nothing that has not been placed under subjection to Him.
a) All of humanity is under His Lordship. (Phil. 2:5-11)
b) All of the realm of nature has been placed under Him.
c) All of the Spirit realm is under His authority.
B. Although it does not look like it, Jesus is Lord of Lords!
1. The events of the world do not yet show that He is Lord.
a) When we read the newspaper, it appears that Satan is in control.
b) When we consider the heartbreaking events that come our way, it appears that Satan is in control
2. The Scriptures clearly show that He will assume His rightful place as Lord.
a) When Jesus returns, He will assume his rightful place as Lord.
b) When we yield our lives to Christ, He demonstrates His Lordship.
II. HE HAS TASTED DEATH FOR US. (VS. 9-15)
A. Jesus laid aside His place on the Throne of Heaven.
1. Jesus was with the Father throughout eternity past (John 1:1).
2. Jesus laid aside his glory for the flesh of humanity (John 1:14).
B. Jesus laid aside his crown for the Cross.
1. Jesus came to die on the cross.
C. Jesus went to the cross in order to secure a relationship with us.
1. He secured a personal relationship with us.
a) Note the terms used to describe this relationship:
(1) Brethren (text)
(2) Children (Rom 8:16, 21; 1 Jn 3:9)
(3) Bride (Rev. 21:9)
D. Jesus shattered the bonds of our slavery through the power of the cross.
1. By nature we are in bondage to sin (John 8:34).
2. Jesus sets us free through His sacrifice on the cross (Jn. 8:36; Rom. 8:1-3;
III. HE HAS SUFFERED AND HAS BECOME THE COMFORTER OF THOSE WHO SUFFER (VS. 16-18).
A. Jesus does not help the angels the way he helps us.
1. He does not save angels as he does us. (1 Peter 1:11)
2. He does not indwell angels as he does us. (Acts 1:8; Jn. 14:26-27)
B. Jesus became a man that He might become our merciful High Priest.
1. He has become our High priest and mediator (1 Tim 2:3)
C. Because He has been tempted, He can help us in our temptations.
1. He understands us. (He. 4:14)