The Existance of Angels
KNOW WHAT YOU BELIEVE
LESSON 3 – THE EXISTANCE OF ANGELS
People are fascinated with angels. They have become an icon; sculptures on architecture, jewelry symbols, and clothing for little girls…all imitate them.
There are others that deny the existence of an invisible, spiritual, supernatural world altogether, and only believe that which they can see.
But the Bible reveals the existence of angels. The first thing to note is that there are holy angels who remain as they were originally created; and some are fallen and sinful. The latter are the devil and other evil spirits, or demons. What we will study in the nature of angels applies to both groups.
1. What aspect of the nature of angels do you learn in Ps. 148:1-5? (They are created beings.)
Insight: It is this aspect that grants angels the title that they are “the sons of God” as referenced in Job 1:6; 2:1; 38:7; Ps. 29:1; 89:6 – since God brought them into existence, they are in that sense, His sons.
2. From Job 38:7, do you have any indication as to when the angels were created? (Before the foundations of the earth.)
3. Some people revere angels so much that they worship them. Is that all right? Rev. 19:10; 22:8-9
4. Is there any Scriptural evidence of “guardian angels” for man? (Heb. 1:14; Ps. 34:7)
Insight: It’s just like our kind, Heavenly Father to send help when we need it the most. Gracious as He is, don’t press into the danger zone thinking you will be rescued by your guardian angel if you get into trouble. In other words, don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!
5. Are angels visible or invisible? (Both.) Num. 22:21-31; Heb. 13:2
6. Are angels perfect? Job 4:18; 2 Pet. 2:4
Insight: Scripture seems to reveal they are much like us in their nature to choose right and wrong. But unlike the grace God shows toward us, Scripture does not reveal that fallen angels have a chance to be redeemed as we do. Christ died for all mankind (Jn. 3:16), but not for one angel. We are blessed.
7. How many angels are there? Rev. 5:11 (Myriads = innumerable.) Of all these angels, how many have names? (Two – Gabriel and Michael.) What are their special functions? (Gabriel is a messenger: Dan. 8:16; Lk. 1:26; Michael the archangel is the leader of God’s angelic army: Dan. 10:13, 21; Rev. 12:7)
8. Who has more angels, God or Satan? (God has twice as many.) Rev. 12:3-4; 1:20
9. Are angels superior to man? (Yes.) Gen. 32:1, 24-28; 2 Pet. 2:10b-11
10. Do angels have a life span or are they immortal? (Immortal.) Lk. 20:36; Matt. 25:41,46
11. Are you aware of any classifications of angels? (Cherubim – powerful, majestic angels: Gen. 3:24; Ex. 25:17-22. Seraphim – six-winged angels that worship God: Isa. 6:1-7 Archangel – a general in God’s angelic army, having authority over other angels: Jude 1:9. Fallen angels: Rev. 12:7)
12. Why did God create angels? Ps. 103:20-21; Rev. 5:11-12; Matt. 1:19-20; Gal. 3:19; Heb. 1:14; 2 Sam. 24:15-16; Dan. 10:12-13; Matt. 16:27
13. Do angels have emotions? Lk. 15:10
14. Do angels have a soul? (Most likely, for they have a mind, will & emotions; but unlike man, Jesus did not die to redeem the lost soul of angels; He died to purchase the souls of mankind only.)
This study on angels gives us a glimpse of Heaven and even the heart of God. A look at their purpose reveals that the spiritual realm is very real, and things that happen in that realm have consequences here on earth, thus their importance of rendering service to believers. Warfare in that realm could not be victorious without them. It also shows the direction we should aim our efforts – furthering and promoting the Kingdom of Heaven. Their purpose in Heaven shows us the supreme importance of worship there, and our practice of worship here, for one day we will stand before the Father with the myriads and myriads of angels. Together, our mighty roar like many waters will echo the praise of the Father that He so rightly deserves. Practice your worship seriously…it must be perfect in Heaven…and you are going to be doing it for a very long time!
Angels show us the heart of God in that He has equipped His servants with both authority and power to carry out His bidding…they take seriously the matter of doing the Father’s will. They are equipped to move to earth in an instant when one of the Father’s children is in trouble. He has made them beautiful, majestic, brilliant, powerful, wise, strong, visible and invisible. Awesome as they are, not one of them can be restored to His side once they fall. That supreme act of grace is directed to you and me. Don’t take it lightly…don’t reject it…there’s many an angel under the wrong influence of the Devil that would give their wings to trade you places.