Staying On the Wall Neh
Staying On the Wall Neh. 6:1-3 10/11/09 EBC
How many get discouraged? Courage- mean mental or moral strength to resist opposition, danger, or hardship, an ingrained capacity for meeting strain or difficulty with fortitude and resilience. Dis- a prefix which means to take away.
What are some things that discourage us? One thing is unrealistic expectations. I was quite discouraged when I found out that Mineral didn’t get the 2016 Olympics.
We need to understand that our work isn’t great because of us, it is great because it’s Christ’s work. Isn’t it wonderful that he has allowed us to have a part in this great work.
I.Work of Satan (Neh. 4:1-3)
A.He will intimidate
1. British author Thomas Carlyle said “some people can bravely stand when shot at but will collapse when laughed at.
2. Shakespeare called ridicule “paper bullets of the brain”.
a. Goliath ridiculed David (1 Sam. 17:41-47)
3. Sanballat and his friends had begun to ridicule the Jews before the work even began
a. Neh. 2:19-
b. Sanballat called them feeble Jews (4:2)
feeble- miserable, withered. The Jews had no great resources that anyone could see. But, the enemy couldn’t see their spiritual resources.
1.1 Cor. 1:18-26-
a.One thing that gives Satan a victory is that we measure success by the world’s standards. This is Christ’s work not ours.
The world glories in it’s strength we glory in our weakness- 2 Cor. 12:1-10
4. Sanballat ridiculed the work itself- (4:2)
a.It’s going to take more than prayer to get this job done.
5. Sanballat ridiculed the materials (4:2). Stones were so old and damaged they could never hold up.
6. Tobiah ridiculed the finished product (4:3). The wall will never hold up. A fox could knock it down.
B.He will interfere (6:2-3)
1. Up to this point in the building program, Sanballat, Tobiah, and Geshem opposed everything that the Jews did; but now they offered to cooperate and help the Jews build the wall. They offered to meet Nehemiah in a village halfway between Jerusalem and Samaria, a quiet place where they could make plans on how to work together. “We’re willing to meet you halfway.
1. Satan will attempt to get you to do the good rather than the best. Special Olympics.
2. We need to be involved in what God has equipped us to do.
3. Enemy strategy was “if we can’t beat ‘em join ‘em- then take over.
4. Once the enemy gets a foothold of a ministry he weakens it from the inside.
C.He will infiltrate (13:4-6)
1. Nehemiah was out of town and they bring the enemy into the Temple. Remember Tobiah (Barney Fife)
II.Work of the Saints (9:1-4)
A.Public Prayer- these saints gathered together to beg God- They even confessed sin.
1. Acts 12:1-12- how many times do we gather as a groups to pray for revivals, Mission Conference.
2. 12 times in Nehemiah, Nehemiah calls out to God.
III.Work of the Savior (Neh. 6:15-16)
A.Wonder what those outside the church say about us?
1. Can they look at our lives and say God is with them?
B. The enemies of Nehemiah and the Jews could see that God was working in their lives. Can we say that?