What God has Done for America
What God has Done for America - Memorial Day - Independence Day
America: Past, Present, and Future
We must never forget what God has done in the past for America. We must have our eyes opened to see what God is doing for America in the present. Then we must realize what God will do to America in the future.
I. WHAT GOD HAS DONE FOR AMERICA.
A. God Birthed America.
We sing, “My County Tis of Thee”
1. First colonies – Jamestown, Va. First community bldg was a church. Only bldg with wall still standing.
2. Puritans first act at Plymouth Rock = kneel, praise and dedicate new colony.
3. Roger Williams (Bapt. Minister) est. Rhode Island.
4. Lord Baltimore held church service in establishing Maryland.
5. William Penn (Quaker) est. Penn, NY, DEL, Conn, NC, SC, Georgia.
Ill. -- When you read their writings you see no doubt that God birthed America.
6. Will Penn in writing gov’t policies for PA made sure “all treasurers, judges, and all elected officials professed faith in Christ.”
The U.S. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals agreed this week with a Federal trial court that the Ten Commandments memorial placed in the rotunda of
The Alabama Judicial Building by state Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore must be removed.
Judge Moore authorized the memorial as a reminder that the biblical laws stand as the moral groundwork of American law.
Our Founding Fathers consistently spoke of the need for utilizing the Bible and Judeo-Christian values in defining and preserving this nation:
* Twelve of the original 13 colonies incorporated the entire Ten Commandments into their civil and criminal codes.
* President John Adams stated, "The law given from Sinai was a civil and municipal code as well as a moral and religious code. These are laws essential to the existence of men in society and most of which have been enacted by every Nation which ever professed any code of laws. Vain
indeed would be the search among the writings of secular history to find so broad, so complete and so solid a basis of morality as the Ten Commandments lay down." (Note that the American Bible Society was started by an act of Congress and John Adams, our second president, served as its first leader.)
Our laws based on 10 commandments and Bible.
Supreme Court bldg - built 1935 – carved on front Moses and Ten Commandments. [justices must enter back way!]
House of Representatives - across speakers’ seat – sculpture of Moses.
* President George Washington said, "It is impossible to govern the world without God and the Bible. Of all dispositions and habits that lead to political prosperity, our religion and morality are indispensable supporters."
* In 1782, the U.S. Congress voted in favor of a resolution recommending and approving the Bible for use in the schools.
* Henry Laurens, fourth president of the Continental Congress, stated, "I had the honor of being one who framed the Constitution. In order effectually to accomplish these great constitutional ends, it is especially the duty of those who bear rule to promote and encourage respect for God
Patrick Henry, first governor of Virginia and a member of the Continental Congress, stated, "It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
7. Constitution ends “in the year of our Lord.”
8. Nation’s motto: “In God we trust”
9. Pledge “One nation under God”
God birthed America but…
B. God has Blessed America
– American history--tons of stories of God’s miraculous intervention. But most history books written by humanists who deliberately keep true facts out of textbooks.
– Ill. British commander William Howe was moving 30,000 Veteran British soldiers to take NY. Gen. George Washington only had 18,000 inexperienced troops. It was 1776.
– British troops outflanked Washington. Washington lost 1,000 men and 2 top Generals. Washington’s troops discouraged. W/O any reason British halted their troops. Had they kept on pressing in they would have destroyed Washington and troops. Yet still they were trapped on Long Island. Only route of escape was treacherous East river. Weather very bad and seemed impossible to cross.
o Washington called for a prayer meeting to ask for God’s guidance and help. Decided to attempt to cross river. Storming, then suddenly 11 pm wind died and rain stopped. River was as smooth as glass. Started crossing and gentle breeze came up behind them to push them along. Even with this miracle still would be impossible to get all troops across to Manhattan Island before daybreak. Just before daybreak, thick fog draped over them and hiding them from British troops. When fog lifted British commander Howe was shocked. Washington troops had escaped. Washington and men recognized God’s blessings on America.
o What about more recent Operation Iraqi Freedom? Only answer for why so few casualties is that God answered prayers of people. More were killed in crimes here in US than during OIR.
o Don’t take our freedom for granted. We have not all paid the same price.
o Ill.-Allen Star of Arkansas erected monument to the 241 servicemen killed in bombing of Marine headquarters in Lebanon. With $2000 and used bricks built 8X4 ft monument with bronze plaque that says, “Lest we forget that peace has a price.”
- Your freedom is not free – just ask a parent who lost a son in a war. Ask a child who lost a father. Ask a man who lost a leg, arm, or was injured for life.
- What has God done? Birthed America and Blessed America.
II. WHAT GOD IS DOING FOR AMERICA
o presently = God is beholding America. He sees how far we have come since our birth in 1776.
o In God’s eyes are we better to Him or bitter to Him [to look upon]? How long will God’s blessings still come to America?
o Ill.--Authorities say servicemen in Iraq were safer than our own citizens walking thru streets of our major cities.
o FBI paints this grim picture. Murder every 24 minutes, forcible rape = 7 min. Robbery = 68 seconds, Aggravated assault 51 sec. Violent crime 27 sec. All this means a major crime is committed every 3 seconds in America.
Religion is not the answer. Today there are more churches than ever. More corruption, hypocrisy in gov’t and churches than ever. Where is the living God in all this?
Ill.-In Jesus’ day world was not unlike ours. Gov’t/churches corrupt. One day in midst of Jewish holiday among crowds in street Jesus stood up and shouted, “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life…” Today amid our confused world those words are still echoing. What does it mean?
Jesus is the Way – speaking to lost people.
Ill.-Of all religions in world how do we know Jesus is the Way?
o When it comes to Eternal life, Confucius is dead, Mohammed is dead, only Jesus claimed and proved victory over sin, death, hell, and grave. If your life lost w/o direction or purpose then follow Jesus because He is the Way.
o Jesus is the Truth – speaking to Learned people.
Ill. -- World teaches no absolutes. Jesus says there is. Big lie swallowed: It does not matter what you believe about God as long as it helps you.
o Your belief does not create truth. Truth is true whether you believe it or not. What you must do is check out your belief and see that it is the truth.
o Jesus is the Life. – Speaking to Longing people.
Bottom line is – people are looking for something worth living for.
I Jn 5:12 “He that hath the Son hath Life…”
Why are people lost? – not come to the Way = Jesus
Why are people not finding truth? “”””””””””
Why are people not living a real life? [just existing]?] “””””””
America is land where anyone can hear gospel. You are greatly privileged. God is beholding you with all your privileges. What will you do with Jesus?
III. What God Will Do to America…
o Bible teaches that - God will Blame America.
Histories highways filled with wreckage of nations that forgot God.
Rom. 14:12 “So then every one of us must give an acct.”
If you stand before God and He ask you “why should I let you into heaven?”
o Ill.-If I was take survey ask people on street and in this church, “How many plan to burn in hell forever?” No one with any sense.
o If I ask how many you are born again for sure? Not all raise hands. When are you planning on getting right with God?
God says, II Cor. 6:2- … now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.
Concl: Heb. 2:3 “How shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation.”
This is your day of liberation or a day you will be forever judged for rejecting Jesus Christ.
This link to Formatted Text and Powerpoint is free...we only ask that you take a moment and recommend it to others by voting for it now. Thank you.