Who Will Save The Black Man
SERMON TITLE: WHO WILL SAVE THE BLACK MAN
SERMON TEXT: GALATIANS 5: 1-6
A. False Perspective: There is a movement within the Black community which feels that the Black community can save itself.
1. Illustration: The Million Man March
a. Emphasize on men becoming morally responible
b. Emphasize on unity and not differences
2. Twofold problem
a. Many do not realize how powerful and controlling sin is -- unsaved man is a slave of sin.
1.) Marches do not change people spiritual, morally, or ethically.
2.) Political, social, and economic empowerment do not change people spiritual, morally, or ethically (ie.
the white man should be godly since he has these).
3.) Community involvement do not change people spiritually, morally, or ethically (ie. white people are just as community minded).
b. Many do not realize how deep-seated and rooted their own personal sin has become--unsaved man is helplessly entangled in sin.
B. Solution: Only the Spirit of God, in the heart of a man who has trusted the person and work of Christ, can bring freedom and victory over spiritual and moral problems.
A. Sermon Proposition: Human-based actions cannot heal sin-based problems.
B. Interrogative: Why do human-based actions fail to heal sin based problems.
C. Transition: From Paul's rebuke to the Galatians for attempting salvation from works four pitfall can be seen that show why human-based actions cannot heal sin-based problems.
I. "CHRIST WILL PROFIT YOU NOTHING:" HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT FAILS TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE NEED FOR GOD'S HELP. GAL. 5: 2
A. Fact: Salvation that is based on what one does or is doing implies that Christ is not good enough.
1. If Christ is not good enought, then the Father sent Him into the world in vain.
2. If Christ is not good enought, then He died, rose, and ascended in vain.
B. Fact: Salvation that is based on what one does or is doing implies that one is not trusting Christ at all!
1. One cannot be saved by a Christ one does not believe in!
2. The provision of salvation in Christ cannot really profit one who really does not fully trust in the provision made available in Christ!
C. Point: You don't need Christ at all if salvation is based on something you do or are doing.
II. "HE IS A DEBTOR TO KEEP THE WHOLE LAW:" HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT FAILS TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE POWER AND DEPTH OF SIN. GAL. 5: 3
A. Fact: Salvation that is based on what one does or is doing implies that one has to maintain that salvation or hope of salvation.
1. One would have to continue in legalism to achieve salvation -- or the hope of it
2. One would have to continue in legalism to maintain salvation -- or the hope of it.
B. Fact: Salvation that is based on what one does or is doing implies that failure do or keep doing is to forfeit salvation or the hope of salvation.
1. Warning: One cannot pick and choose which laws he will or will not obey for this salvation.
2. Warning: One cannot pick and choose when he will or will not obey the law for this salvation.
3. Warning: One cannot pick and choose how he will or will not obey the law for this salvation.
C. Fact: Any attempts to keep the whole law is doomed to fail.
1. Man is a sinner
a. He was born in sin
b. He is a personal sinner
2. The law does not give man to power to stop sinning
D. Point: if you are attempting to get saved and stay saved based on the law, you are doomed to failure.
III. "YOU HAVE BECOME ESTRANGED FROM CHRIST:" HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT FAILS TO ACKNOWLEDGE ITS UNACCEPTABILITY BEFORE GOD. GAL.5:4
A. Fact: Salvation that is based on what one does or is doing cuts one off from Christ.
1. Note: KJV reads "Christ is become of no effect but this literally means "you are cut off from
2. Note carefully: one does not get "cut off from because one has sinned!
a. The unsaved man is already cut off from Christ.
b. The Christian who sins does not get cut off from Christ--Christ will never lose any of His own!!
3. One gets "cut off from Christ because one refuses to trust Christ for salvation!!
4. Legalistic attempts do not bring one to Chtrist because one is not trusting in Christ but in personal works
B. Point: Any attempt to achieve salvation any kind is unacceptable before God.
IV. YOU HAVE FALLEN FROM GRACE:" HUMAN ACHIEVEMENT FAILS TO ACKNOWLEDGE ITS UTTER HOPELESSNESS WITHOUT GOD'S GRACE. GAL.5:4
A. Fact: Salvation that is based on what one does or is doing rejects the grace of God.
1. The unsaved man is already outside of the grace of God
2. The unsaved man cannot achieve or earn grace by works
B. Point: Salvation is gained and maintained by grace
A. Human-based actions cannot bring man salvation
1. Therefore, one cannot have a right relationship with God based on what one has done or is doing.
2. Therefore, there is no interpersonal healing among men -- socially, politically, econmically, or morally.
B. Human-based actions fail to solve man's moral problems
1. They fail to acknowledge the need of God's help
2. They fail to acknowledge the power and depth of sin
3. They fail to acknowledge unacceptability before God
4. They fail to acknowledge utter hopelessness before God.
C. Sin-based problems can only be truely healed by faith in Christ
D. SERMON RESPONSE: What are you putting your trust in?