Passing the Prison Test
Dream to Destiny
Passing the Prison Test
(James’ Message) Daddy, do they have WIFI in heaven?
And so it was, when she saw that he had left his garment in her hand and fled outside,
that she called to the men of her house and spoke to them, saying, “See, he has brought in to us a Hebrew to mock us. He came in to me to lie with me, and I cried out with a loud voice.
And it happened, when he heard that I lifted my voice and cried out, that he left his garment with me, and fled and went outside.”
So she kept his garment with her until his master came home.
Then she spoke to him with words like these, saying, “The Hebrew servant whom you brought to us came in to me to mock me;
so it happened, as I lifted my voice and cried out, that he left his garment with me and fled outside.”
So it was, when his master heard the words which his wife spoke to him, saying, “Your servant did to me after this manner,” that his anger was aroused.
Then Joseph’s master took him and put him into the prison, a place where the king’s prisoners were confined. And he was there in the prison.
But the LORD was with Joseph and showed him mercy, and He gave him favor
in the sight of the keeper of the prison.
And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph’s hand all the prisoners who were in the prison; whatever they did there, it was his doing.
The keeper of the prison did not look into anything that was under Joseph’s authority, because the LORD was with him; and whatever he did, the LORD made it prosper.
The Prison Test is the test of perseverance!
• Will you do the right thing even when you suffer the wrong results?
• Will you continue to do the right thing when things don’t change?
Many people think that they’re going to do something for God • After God delivers them out of their unjust circumstances!
And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;
Romans 5:4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
Now hope does not disappoint
This word for glory is not “doxa”! (168 compared to 38 - sneezing) •It means rejoice and the root of it means wish or pray for!
• How can we wish or pray for and rejoicein tribulations?
• Because we know what they produce!
1. Tribulation produces perseverance.
Joseph did the right thing and went to prison!
• Have you ever done the right thing and suffered the wrong results?
• Tribulation and trials are going to come! Get used to it!
“In the world you willhave tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
James 1:3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
Trials (short) produce patience. Tribulation (long) produce perseverance!
• Patience is waiting with contentment!
• Not just waiting, but keeping your heart right while you’re waiting.
If you’re in line at the drive through bank
• But you’re yelling at the people in front of you
• Don’t send the tube back again! Go inside!
Perseverance is fighting the battle while you’re waiting with contentment!
• Trials produce patience. Tribulation produces perseverance!
• Trials are short. Tribulation is long! (Encouraging?)
Perseverance doesn’t come in a week! For Joseph, it was 13 years.
• For David and Paul, it was 13 years. (Encouraging!)
• For Abraham, it was 25 years. For Moses, it was 40 years.
Joseph didn’t get bitter at God, the Egyptians, or his brothers.
• We know that because he continued ministering to people
• And working hard enough to be promoted even in prison!
Are you in a difficult test right now?
• Has it been going on for years?
• Then rejoice! God is working perseverance in you!
2. Perseverance produces character.
Why do we need to go through long and difficult trials?
• Because perseverance produces character!
• Character enables us to step into and fulfill our destinies.
The worst thing someone can do for you is either,
• Promote you before you are ready,
• Or deliver you out of a trial that God is using to build your character.
Tribulation is the only thing I can find that God said produces character.
• He didn’t say any other thing in the Bible produces character!
• It is only produced by perseverance
God, isn’t there any other way to get character?
• Maybe I could get it by impartation.
• Maybe I could get someone of character to pray for me!
• I want character and I want it now, quickly and painlessly!
Joseph was a man of great ability. No matter where he was, he prospered,
• God wanted to show him that his own ability couldn’t deliver him.
• He interpreted the Baker and the Butler’s dreams!
“But remember me when it is well with you, and please show kindness to me; make mention of me to Pharaoh, and get me out of this house.”
Yet the chief butler did not remember Joseph, but forgot him.
Baker’s head got cut off so it’s hard to remember!
I believe he could have been released right then if he hadn’t tried to manipulate the situation and justify himself.
• He said to the butler, “Remember me because I am innocent!”
• And God said, “Oop! 2 more years!”
Who gave Pharoah the dream? It was 2 years before God gave it!
• God could have given Pharoah the dream earlier!
• People have dropped hints before I blessed or promoted them!
3. Character produces hope.
Have you ever been accused of something that you didn’t do?
• Have you ever been lied about or had rumors spread about you?
• Character is not only how we act, but how we react!
When we respond correctly, it builds our character.
• Satan is always there to produce evidence to support his lies!
• What evidence did Satan supply that Joseph had been killed?
What evidence did Satan supply to support the lie that Joseph had tried to rape Potiphar’s wife? His coat!
• If I had been Joseph, I would have thrown out all of my coats!
• I would have never worn another coat in my life!
One got him thrown in a pit and one got him thrown in prison! •It could be 20 degrees and I wouldn’t wear a coat! “Aren’t you cold?”
• “Do you want to borrow a coat?” Get behind me Satan!
Joseph did the right thing and yet (Ipad, few drinks at birthday party)
• The butler still did not remember him and 2 whole years passed!
• He didn’t allow his hope to turn to disappointment.
Hope deferred makes the heart sick
How do I keep my hope from being deferred so my heart doesn’t change
• (Misplaced hope) If you put your hope in your circumstances
• Then when your circumstances don’t change, your heart gets sick!
If you put your hope in God who never changes
• Then since He never changes, your hope never changes
• And your heart never gets sick!
Hope is that God is a good God and is working all these things for my good!
• Our hope is in God, not in our situation!
Tribulation produces perseverance. Perseverance produces character
• Character produces hope. What does hope produce?
4. Hope produces appointments.
If hope does not disappoint, then it appoints!
• Hope is actually what prepares us for divine appointments
• Because Joseph had hope, he continued to work hard and •Be a good steward and knew that God would reward him.
The hope in Joseph produced his Divine Appointment to get out of prison!
• He continued to keep his heart right toward God and people
• He was sensitive to others needs and didn’t turn inward and have a pity party.
Joseph came in to them in the morning and lookedat them, and sawthat they were sad.
So he asked Pharaoh’s officers who were with him in the custody of his lord’s house, saying, “Why do you look so sad today?”
How could he do this? Because his tribulation produces perseverance
• Perseverance produces character
• Character produces hope
• Hope produces appointments to minister
If you do the right thing, God will honor you!
• No matter what anyone does or says, it can’t affect your destiny.
• Only one person that can thwart, hinder, or delay your destiny!
Joseph was numbered with the prisoners even though he wasn’t guilty!
• Jesus was numbered with the prisoners even though he wasn’t guilty!
• One prisoner was condemned. One was set free!
Joseph said, “Remember me,” but the butler didn’t.
• The thief said, "Remember me" and Jesus did!
We had someone accuse us of something we didn’t do
• Debbie got a job doing payroll and then I got a job
• Then I was on television. They were Divine Appointments
New King James Version (NKJV) ©1982 by Thomas Nelson.