2nd Generation Problems Notes
The changes we have seen …
Contemplate from both an individual perspective and congregational (let alone national).
As with Moses – many are at the end of their wanderings – but God’s people / purposes continue for another generation. We are passing along our lives as we are passing away.
Problem of such – we are very limited in our experiences. (only ‘know’ my generation. Limited by geography - , etc. ) Hence a look at several generations from the OT…
à Moses generation
The importance of the OT in such thinking – Deut. - Joshua - Judges
1. the generation that came out of Egypt –
a. A whole new experience –
1. the danger of ‘going back’ – seen in the events at Mt. Sinai …
à THEIR children -
Prepare – by TEACHING
Remember / Not Forget
forget = 10 times Dt. 4:9, 23, 31
Remember = 14 Times.. 8:2
2 And you shall remember the whole way that the Lord your God has led you these forty years in the wilderness, that he might humble you, testing you to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep his commandments or not.
Relationship to God – based upon CHOICE
Choice based upon ‘knowledge’ (facts from which to make decisions)
KNOWLEDGE – must be taught …
Discuss Laws / applications
• Deuteronomy – a 2nd study…
• A series of SERMONS to this generation
• 4:2 - not add or subtract
• 12:32 – not add or subtract
à Concerning DANGERS …
Teach Concerning dangers
• history of past generations failures
• warnings about future problems to come
• Warnings about blessings / curses -- 28-29-30
3. teach concerning the dangers of unfaithfulness to God
a. the danger of going away – new gods and religions –
Different from the parents – not ‘go back’ for not KNOW Egypt…
b. danger of evil companions – learning their ways….
Lift eyes to heaven – idolatry - Dt. 4:
NOT ‘how do they worship’ – but as God directed..
c. Danger of new found riches – Deut. 6:10-12
also ch. 8:11-14
à Father’s responsibility
4. Put such squarely upon fathers and daily teaching.
From Abraham - to Law – to Eph. 6:
17 The Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do,
18 seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
19 For I have chosen him, that he may command his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice, so that the Lord may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.”
Deut. 4:23, 6:6-7, 11:18-21
à Prepare for new leadership
Prepare for new leadership
God expects such to continue – generation after generation
Not only teach – but prepare others to LEAD …
à HOW? What did Moses Do ..
b. Prepared for leadership with Joshua..
1. beginning responsibilities –
2. enlarged as his abilities increased –
3. personal teaching / exhortation -
à Did it work ?
Judges – an evil time
generation faithful WHILE Joshua lived
repeated in each generation
BUT – how much worse if there was NONE ?
Prepare by TEACHING
learn WORDS –
not CONCEPTS ?
Problem of Leaders
1. Are ‘made’ –
Elders – note emphasis on sound doctrine in practice & preaching –
2Tim 2.2 – how we get there …
2. problem of preachers / teachers –
a. can not teach what not know –
b. takes experience – that takes opportunity --
3. Biggest area of concern to me is the very concept of leadership. What does it mean? HOW does one ‘lead’ in Christian relationships.
25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,
26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.
27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.