Apart from God - All Is Vanity
Theme: The end of all worldly goals are empty.
- Let’s face it: everything here on earth is vain.
- If you don’t believe me believe the wisest man endowed by God: king Solomon.
- Not only was he given wisdom, but wealth beyond measure.
- This combination, along with the experiments of life, lead to his conclusion: All is vanity. Ecc. 1:1-2, 13-17
All EArthly Endeavors Are Vanity
- Wants (pleasure). Ecc. 2:1-11
- Houses, vineyards (v. 4), gardens and parks (v. 5), ponds for a forest (v. 6), slaves and flocks (v. 7), silver and gold and male/female singers (v. 8). V. 10
- All was vanity and striving after the wind. V. 11
- Wisdom excels folly. V. 12-14
- Even though wisdom excels folly, both end in the same place. V. 15
- Whatever accumulated things you have will be left behind. V. 18
- What trust do you have that it (things) are left to those wise? V. 19
- In the end, such is meaningless. V. 20-23
All Endeavors With God Are Profitable
- Those who live to please God are blessed by Him. Ecc. 2:24-26
- He receives wisdom, knowledge, and joy. V. 26
- Conversely, to those who do not please Him, what he has is taken away and given to the one who pleases Him. Cp. Matt. 25:28-29
2. We do not know the activities God has in store for our futures. Ecc. 11
- Therefore, spend your days toiling with a good and noble heart… and enjoy the fruit of your labors before God. Ecc. V. 6-8
- Children, enjoy your youth. V. 9-10
3. Remember, always keep God in your life. Ecc. 12
- While enjoying life, do not forget your Creator…otherwise, all your labors are nothing but vanity. V. 1-8
- Here is the simple conclusion (cp. V. 9-12): fear God and keeps His commandments. V. 13-14
- Brethren, consider your labors (wisdom, wants, and works) that all be done to your satisfaction and ultimately, to the pleasure (will) of God.
- Enjoy life in service to God, otherwise all is vanity.