0730 The Mystery of Marriage
By all means marry, if you get a good wife, you will be happy. If you get a bad one you will become a philosopher. Socrates
Marriage is earth’s oldest institution.
- The world’s record for the longest marriage goes to Herbert & Zelmyra Fisher - married 86 years, 9 months, and 16 days as of February 27, 2011, He was 106 years old. 5 kids.
- Linda Wolfe holds record for being the most married woman in the world. Married 23 times. Her first marriage at 16 was for love. Her last, in 1996 was for publicity. That year she married Glynn “Scotty” Wolfe. He was the world’s most married man. Linda married a convict, a homeless man, a musician, a plumber. One husband lasted just three days. She married another man three times.
- 300 couples marry in Las Vegas every day.
- There are 100 divorces every hour in the USA.
- Men who kiss their wives in the morning are said to live five years longer than those who don’t.
- Approximately $6 billion in revenue is lost by American businesses as a result of decreased worker productivity linked to marriage hardship.
- Interracial marriage was banned in the USA for much of its history: 1776-1967
- French can marry dead people.
1. It’s for union between man and woman. (Other relationships are not marriage. Sex for marriage is like fire in fireplace)
2. It’s for multiplication of human race. (85% of unmarried have them. Baby is interfere with work. Can’t support. Don’t want to be single parent. 55mi aborted since 1973 cost 16tril)
3. It’s for protection for kids. (Elephants fight grass suffers, 1950 every 100 kids - 12 broken family, 4 out of wedlock, 8 suffered divorce; 2000 every 100 kids - 60 broken family, 33 out of wedlock, 27 divorced parents)
4. It’s for building our character. (Ego dies, marriage lives; if divorce is solution why people don’t learn, why second marriages don’t have better success)
5. It’s for construction of society. (1980 Cali build 22 prisons but only one new University of Cali)
6. It’s for reflection of our union with Christ. (Jesus is model to marriage. Marriage is model of Jesus; 21 christians died for their faith in Libya)
Marriage is under attack. Relationships. Marriage and Family!
Three most important decisions in life: God, vocation, and marriage.
Factors considering in marriage:
A. Clock Factor (IF YOU ARE NOT SINGLE, YOU ARE NOT READY TO MINGLE) Violin example!
B. Community Factor (BEST TO KNOW SOMEONE IS BY RELATING NOT DATING)
C. Christ Factor 1 Cor.7:39; 2 Cor.6:14 (Spirituality; Believe in God stuff; stats: divorce in half if both attend church, same theology, and bring faith home)
D. Comparability Factor Genesis 2:20 (Culture…Age - Oldest bridegroom recorded is 115 Puerto Rico married 16 year old girl who is 99 his junior)
E. Chemistry + Character Factor (Don’t settle for someone who falls in love with your heart and potential; Insecurity and Vulnerability - don’t go into relationship hoping for person to change)
F. Conscience Factor (Don’t violate your intuition, Joseph did not and Judas did)
G. Couch Factor (Every great player has a trainer; Ahab and prophet Micah)