The Rich Man
Sermon text with italics and bold and John 3:16 and v. 20.
1 Timothy 6:17 = EARTHY THINGS ARE FOR US
- Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain kriches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things lto enjoy k Jer. 9:23; 48:7
- Ezekiel 28:1-10
The word of the Lord came to me again, saying, 2 “Son of man, say to the prince of Tyre, ‘Thus says the Lord God:
“Because your heart is alifted 1up,
And byou say, ‘I am a god,
I sit in the seat of gods,
cIn the midst of the seas,’
dYet you are a man, and not a god,
Though you set your heart as the heart of a god
3 (Behold, eyou are wiser than Daniel!
There is no secret that can be hidden from you!
4 With your wisdom and your understanding
You have gained friches for yourself,
And gathered gold and silver into your treasuries;
5 gBy your great wisdom in trade you have increased your riches,
And your heart is lifted up because of your riches),”
6 ‘Therefore thus says the Lord God:
“Because you have set your heart as the heart of a god,
7 Behold, therefore, I will bring hstrangers against you,
iThe most terrible of the nations;
And they shall draw their swords against the beauty of your wisdom,
And defile your splendor.
8 They shall throw you down into the jPit,
And you shall die the death of the slain
In the midst of the seas.
9 “Will you still ksay before him who slays you,
‘I am a god’?
But you shall be a man, and not a god,
In the hand of him who slays you.
10 You shall die the death of lthe uncircumcised
By the hand of aliens;
For I have spoken,” says the Lord God.’ ”
a Jer. 49:16; Ezek. 31:10
b Is. 14:14; 47:8; Ezek. 28:9; 2 Thess. 2:4
c Ezek. 27:3, 4
d Is. 31:3; Ezek. 28:9
e Ezek. 14:14; Dan. 1:20; 2:20–23, 28; 5:11, 12; Zech. 9:3
f Ezek. 27:33; Zech. 9:1–3
g Ps. 62:10; Zech. 9:3
h Ezek. 26:7
i Ezek. 7:24; 21:31; 30:11; Hab. 1:6–8
j Is. 14:15
k Ezek. 28:2
l 1 Sam. 17:26, 36; Ezek. 31:18; 32:19, 21, 25, 27
The New King James Version. 1982 (Eze 28:1-10). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
- Here, Riches is obtaining without God - and it lost
- God acts that the riches leave ...
2 Corin 8:9 = RICHES CAN COME TO US HERE:
- Lord Jesus Christ, ithat though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become jrich i Matt. 8:20; Luke 9:58; Phil. 2:6, 7
j Rom. 9:23; [Eph. 1:7; Rev. 3:18]
The New King James Version. 1982 (2 Co 8:9). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
(#14) James 5:1-5 = RICH WHO IGNORE GOD
- Come now, you arich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! 2 Your briches 1are corrupted, and cyour garments are moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. dYou have heaped up treasure in the last days. 4 Indeed ethe wages of the laborers who mowed your fields, which you kept back by fraud, cry out; and fthe cries of the reapers have reached the ears of the Lord of 2Sabaoth. 5 You have lived on the earth in pleasure and 3luxury; you have 4fattened your hearts 5as in a day of slaughter. 6 You have condemned, you have murdered the just; he does not resist you. a Prov. 11:28; [Luke 6:24; 1 Tim. 6:9]
b Jer. 17:11; Matt. 6:19
1 have rotted
c Job 13:28
d Rom. 2:5
e Lev. 19:13; Job 24:10; Jer. 22:13; Mal. 3:5
f Ex. 2:23; Deut. 24:15; Job 31:38
2 Lit., in Heb., Hosts
4 Lit. nourished
5 NU omits as
The New King James Version. 1982 (Jas 5:1-6). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.