Getting Your Authority Back Part #2-Authority Restored 6-14-09
Getting Your Authority Back:
Part #2: Authority Restored
Theme of Authority in Scripture
Authority is a Gift Given To Man
When sin—enemy got keys of death and hell
· Prince of power of air
Things we give our Authority away to
· False Advertising
TITLE: Getting your Authority Back Part #2—Authority Restored
Theme of Authority Throughout Scripture
Last time talked ‘AUTHORITY LOST’
· This time: Authority Restored
· Of course, when talking about authority restored—have to talk about JESUS—the one that RESTORED authority Lost!!
When Jesus came one of the PRIMARY objectives in His mission
· Restore Authority lost
· Opportunity for man to get that which was lost BACK into their lives
· Authority FORFEITED—
o FULLY paid for—
o So it could be RESTORED
Words in Bible that relate to authority:
· Kingdom of God—Kingdom of Heaven the CENTRAL message of JESUS
Because Jesus came]
· He could restore authority lost
· Give gifts to men—opportunity for Getting Authority Back
· How many want that in THEIR lives?
Let’s look at Jesus’ journey for CLUESs
· Whenever you hear/see these words—Authority is inferred as a part of the whole picture.
· Going to see TWO THINGS in Luke 4
· Authority Challenged—Authority REVEALED
o Chapter Microcosm study on Authority being revealed/restored
· Temptation of Jesus
o Centered around PROVE your authority
o Challenged/mocked the authority
· POSTURING—nature of authority of challenge—posture!
o Challenge—Jesus didn’t fall for the scheme
o How many of you have ever been SUCKERED into a battle you shouldn’t have gotten into because of POSTURE thing?
· Satan attacked Jesus’ ID—He FEARED ID
Lots of ways we can slice this passage—but for today want to look at
TWO Things Temptation Targetted
· Offering Jesus Counterfeit way to Complete His Mission
FIRST: Mocked Identity and Authority
It had just been REVEALED publicly at BAPTISM “This is my son”
One of main goals of temptation
· Sabotage ID—mock it
· Challenge Authority
· Wants to make you POSTURE yourself—BAD NEWS—Cruising story—Sonny West!!
Not going to do Temptation teaching (love that—powerful—later)
· But important to UNDERSTAND
o Tried to sabotage Jesus
o Mock ID
Tried to Make JESUS bow to the ID criteria of Satan
· Actually, what was happening—they were tempted to let SATAN define WHO HE is
· Satan has NO AUTHORITY to do that—only FATHER
· Jesus wouldn’t BOW to Satan’s temptation
o When God moves you into authority in your life
· Satan AFRAID of us REALLY living in our IDENTITY as children of the Most High God
· That’s why self-esteem—condemnation—self-loathing—such common targets—Voice of ACCUSER
· Sometimes turn self into PRETZEL trying to perform for condemnation
And when we let SATAN set tone
· SIN set the agenda to define us
· It ALWAYS robs us
· Satan truly DID have the authority
· Jesus didn’t REJECT statement
· Prince power of air
Offered Jesus a COUNTERFEIT way to complete His MISSION
5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority
· Notice: Satan offered AUTHORITY—Why?
· Jesus’ MISSION
and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7 So if you worship me, it will all be yours.”
8 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’b”
Back to temptation:
· Kingdoms of world
· Enemy authority—true
· What kingdoms of world REALLY meant to Jesus
o Not the gold
o The PEOPLE—US—children held HOSTAGE
· Offer crossless journey
· Jesus came to get authority BACK
Reminds—negotiating with terrorists
· Something in the principle—can’t do that ????
Satan was challenging AUTHORITY
· Mocking His ID
· But was afraid of greater authority revealed in Jesus
· Enemy will Challenge/mock your authority
· Scheme to get you to take ‘short cuts’—avoid the cross
· And forfeit your real place
The enemy tried to SET TABLE for Authority to be revealed . . .
· Jesus RESISTED temptation
· In Chapter 4—MICROCOSM of Authority Revealed
Where was Authority Revealed??
· In life/ministry of EJsus
· Each account—each Sermon
· Each MIRACLE—Each Act
· Revealing—this is who I AM
Each account reveals another LAYER
· Luke 4 great chapter—GREAT overview of Authority revealed
· Gonna Go quick—but CHECK THIS OUT
· (Baptism 3:21)
· God wants to give you Authority to Resist Temptation
14 Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. 
"In the Power Of The Spirit"
Jesus had just 'passed the test
· He had resisted the temptation--and won!
What would happen IF when we were tempted
· We viewed it as a prelude to an opportunity to move in the power of the Spirit later
· If we saw the moment of temptation as that which precedes an opportunity of having a greater power of the Holy Spirit working in our lives
What would it do to how we view temptation?
· As I'm faithful to Him in the midst of itOn the OTHER SIDE is a place where HIS power will be made manifest in greater ways In the midst of our weakness
We all feel our vulnerable human weakness in the midst of temptation--our humanity is in full display in that moment of testing
· But maybe THIS is what Paul meant when he talked about glorying in his weakness
· Maybe we need to get a bigger VISION
· It's not just about resisting temptation
· It's about God's Mighty power being poured into our lives--on the other side of our most vulnerable weakness . . .
· If we really got this, maybe when we were tested we would start recognizing this dynamic
· 'This is an opportunity for God's power to become stronger in my life!'
INSTEAD of POSTURING
- Authority to Start with the WEAKEST
17 The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written: 18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind,
to release the oppressed, 19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”a
Although, Jesus will ultimately receive 'all kingdoms under his feet'
· Jesus didn't start with the grandeur of those kingdoms
· But began with a declaration of His purpose to reach--transform-- meet the most vulnerable ones
His message didn't start with places of the greatest places of POMP grandeur
· But the greatest places of need—
· Now THAT’s AUTHORITY!
He is MOST SECURE person
· TRUE Authority Doesn’t POSTURE!!!!!!!!
· Nothing to PROVE—you just stepping and being who YOU are
· Free to go to WEAK places with others—no posturing here
THIS was the decree of His TRUE authority
· It starts with the weakest place of need
· And grows to envelope the greatest places of Glory
· Truly Christ is ALL
Col 1:16 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him.
- Authority to Slip Past Persecution—Not Engage in WRONG battle!
There are LOTS of ways the Lord will win victories in our lives
- Sometimes it's a Elijah and prohpets of Bale moment
- Other times it's simply 'slipping right past the enemy'-
- DON’T engage in CONVERSATION
- YOU are on your way down the road
For MANY OF US
· WRONG BATTLESS—Offense
· Pick up Instead of SLIPPING PAST
· God wants to RELEASE that authority in life—CHOOSING Battles
· Moving ON
· Life of Jesus
· Authority Verse (see last teaching if can’t find it) He Spoke with AUTHORITY
· Authority To Reveal Truth
o Speak with authority
Luke 4: 32 32 They were amazed at his teaching, because his message had authority. 
· The journey of Jesus' ministry on earth was a journey to RECLAIM authority
· That was his end game
· For within that victory-- was the rescue of the human race.
Authority to REVEAL the Father
· To speak into LIVEs
· While he's stuck in confusion—instead, of GOOD IDEAS (Pharisees)
· Things SETTLED—Aligned—IMPARTATION of LIFE
When Jesus’ authority revealed in our lives
· SPEAKS into places of our lives—CHANGES things
· Speaks into our situations
· “I have given you Authority’; ‘Greater Works than THESE’
o WE then can speak with HIS authority into situations
- Authority over Devil
- Authority to drive OUT enemy
- I love this—in temptation Satan tried to tempt Jesus
- Bet would have LOVED to bind evil one—
- Not the RIGHT TIME to engage THAT battle—
- There was an ORDER to this thing—Father wasn’t doing it
- Right TIME—right way
- Develop—us getting into wrong timing in battles—binding everything we see
4:33 Another layer of His true authority revealed--
· In setting this man free
· Compassion expressed as Jesus delivered this man
2026 ἐξουσία (exousia), ας (as), ἡ (hē): n.fem.; ≡ Str 1849; TDNT 2.562—1. LN 37.35 authority to rule (Lk 19:17); 2. LN 37.36 jurisdiction, the sphere of authority (Lk 4:6; 23:7); 3. LN 37.37 symbol of authority (1Co 11:10), note other interpretations are suggested, see commentaries; 4. LN 37.38 ruler (one who has authority over) (Lk 12:11); 5. LN 37.13 control, a state of control over someone (Ac 5:4); 6. LN 76.12 power, implying authority (Mk 3:15; Rev 9:19); 7. LN 12.44 supernatural power (Eph 2:2); 8. LN 30.122 right to judge, freedom to action (1Co 8:9)
Luke 4:36 36 All the people were amazed and said to each other, “What is this teaching? With authority and power he gives orders to evil spirits and they come out!”
1849 ἐξουσία [exousia /ex·oo·see·ah/] n f. From 1832 (in the sense of ability); TDNT 2:562; TDNTA 238; GK 2026; 103 occurrences; AV translates as “power” 69 times, “authority” 29 times, “right” twice, “liberty” once, “jurisdiction” once, and “strength” once. 1 power of choice, liberty of doing as one pleases. 1a leave or permission. 2 physical and mental power. 2a the ability or strength with which one is endued, which he either possesses or exercises. 3 the power of authority (influence) and of right (privilege). 4 the power of rule or government (the power of him whose will and commands must be submitted to by others and obeyed). 4a universally. 4a1 authority over mankind. 4b specifically. 4b1 the power of judicial decisions. 4b2 of authority to manage domestic affairs. 4c metonymically. 4c1 a thing subject to authority or rule. 4c1a jurisdiction. 4c2 one who possesses authority. 4c2a a ruler, a human magistrate. 4c2b the leading and more powerful among created beings superior to man, spiritual potentates. 4d a sign of the husband’s authority over his wife. 4d1 the veil with which propriety required a women to cover herself. 4e the sign of regal authority, a crown. Additional Information: For synonyms see entries 970, bia; 1411, dunamis; 1753, energeia; 
- Authority to Reveal Father in the MIDDLE of Worship Centers
38 Jesus left the synagogue and went to the home of Simon. Now Simon’s mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked Jesus to help her. 39 So he bent over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up at once and began to wait on them.
40 When the sun was setting, the people brought to Jesus all who had various kinds of sickness, and laying his hands on each one, he healed them.
That’s why there—REVEAL Father
- Not there to Posture with Satan
- Not there to engatge in wrong conversastion with crowd
- THERE to reveal Father
- Meet the NEED
What authority is—what it isn’t
· Authority is peaceful—don’t have to prove anything—just have to BE
· Thinking about early days in Aberdeen—there was a measure of authority—territory gained in my life—didn’t feel intimidated at all about WHO I was or WHAT I was.
· Didn’t have to ‘try harder’ to be a pastor—I am one
· My authority in that mantle was secure—didn’t need to prove anything—just needed to lead the people—get them where they needed to be.
o Authority to step into CENTER of Worship/religious world
o Reveal Father
· Jesus continued to REVEAL authority
· PROGRESSIVE—of the INCREASE of his GOVERNMENT there will be NO END
· Continues over lifetime—out into ETERNITY
· Personal application
God has authority in midst of the SITUATION you are IN right now!
· Jesus reveals His authority in our lives in weakness/serving
· Luke 24:44
44 He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” 
· Cross Doorway for us
· All things under His feet
· Eph 1:19
That power is like the working of his mighty strength, 20 which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. 22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 2
· Rev 1:17-18
“Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. 18 I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. 
· Now THAT’S Authority!!!
· Just like Jesus—battle to walk in the FREEDOM/authority He brings
· Layer by layer
· For Him—progressive nature of journey
· For us the SAME—Path of Just as shining light . . .
b Deut. 6:13
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Lk 4:5-8). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Lk 4:14). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
a Isaiah 61:1, 2
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Lk 4:32). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
n. noun, or nouns
Str Strong’s Lexicon
TDNT Kittel, Theological Dictionary of the New Testament
LN Louw-Nida Greek-English Lexicon
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Lk 4:36). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
n n: noun or neuter
f f: feminine
TDNT Theological Dictionary of the New Testament
TDNTA Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Abridged in One Volume
AV Authorized Version
Strong, J. (1996). The exhaustive concordance of the Bible : Showing every word of the test of the common English version of the canonical books, and every occurence of each word in regular order. (electronic ed.) (G1849). Ontario: Woodside Bible Fellowship.
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Lk 24:44). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Eph 1:19-23). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (electronic ed.) (Re 1:17-18). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.